Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Wainscot Menu Board...sneak peak





Chalkboards, menu boards, signs of any kind are so much fun to have around your home. They really add a homey touch...a bit of life that expresses who you are as a family! The one in our bathroom is for communication, the one in the kitchen lets everyone know what's for dinner and the one out on the deck is JUST FOR FUN...but has also been used as an outdoor menu board.

This weekend, I am hosting a bridal shower with my mother-in-law...that in and of itself will be one BIG party! Anyhoo, our family menu board is too small for all.the.food to be listed and the one outside is already spoken for....soooo, I found some old wine crates at the thrift store and when I went back with my coupon {my hubby had them in his car from our last donation!!} they were gone. Girls...sometimes penny pinching is not a good idea...SOOOO, PLAN B. We still had some Wainscot boards left from our bathroom remodel.

I am still not quite finished with the project...I still have menu items to add... but I already can't wait to hang it right behind the serving table!

I may just keep the same menu for the next few brunches, or it will be easy to slap on a fresh coat of white paint and stamp on the letters for the next party.

And if you are lucky enough to have a clean garage that isn't housing home improvement leftovers, a package of Wainscot is less than $12! Still not bad for a sign. The menu can just be written on with a sharpie...easy peasy!

"How to" make a menu board:

1. Decide if you will be using stamps and an ink pad or a SHARPIE pen for the letters...you could use a brush and paint, also.



2. Decide if you want to age the boards a bit. I took a bit of water on a rag and took a bit of the primed paint OFF. I also sanded it down to give it an older look.



3. If you are using letters, line them up alphabetically to speed up the stamping project.





I can't wait for the trim, the yellow ribbon, the monograms etc. I'll post it along with the shower pics...if I don't forget to take them! :}


POST EDIT:

Here it is! I decided against the monogram on the board and hung it above the kitchen island instead. I LOVE it!

Next project: Making another wainscot menu board and painting it with chalkboard paint! Some of us need the grooves as lines to keep our letters straight!!

After the sign is made, attach wainscot to a thin piece of plywood...cut to size. Some home improvement stores will do this for you.

Cut trim pieces and attach with liquid nails. Drill holes and thread with pretty ribbon. Change ribbon to fit the occasion!








Happy Tuesday!

*4th of July free printables from DIVINE TWINE

Shared with: simply homemaking, women living well, tidy mom, making the world cuter, titus2sday, TLC how to..., domestically divine

4 comments:

  1. That is a great idea and it looks like it will be some good food at that party. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    how have you been? Your menu board looks really cute!!

    xo Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can 't thank you enough, with the help of your blog I done my work very easily. The third step is awesome, Using letters in line them up alphabetically is very speedy in stamping project.

    ReplyDelete