Thursday, June 9, 2011

Key Lime Whippers...and a frugal find



Dishes have always be something I love. I could find an excuse to buy new dishes...but really no need to add to the basics I already have. If you purchase a few fun colored dishes and keep your main dishes, serving pieces, platters and trays to plain old white or clear glass...you are set. I know it is tempting to buy the new shade of green, the polka dotted pink and white bowls, the lobster platter with all the detail etc...but if you are short on storage and trying to stay on budget...the dishes that are multi-functional will make a huge difference!

After gutting our home a couple of years ago...I promised I was going to keep things streamlined and SIMPLE. With the exception of the cake plate closet...we have done great and it feels so light and clean in our home. It is shocking at how quickly an un-cluttered home can be tidied up!

One thing that has helped in keeping my dishes {and clutter} to a minimum is having them serve more than one purpose. I think my favorites are the TEA LIGHT holders from IKEA. I use them for everything, and the best part is that they take up very little room...but can be used for oh.so.much! I think I paid less than $3 for eight. All I know is they definitely qualify as a frugal find.

Here are a few ideas:

mini milk glasses



juice glasses

butter dishes for nice dinners

condiment bowls

sour cream and salsa containers for individual plates

brown sugar and raisin condiment bowls on a plate with a big bowl of hot oatmeal

olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic oil for dipping crusty bread

chocolate fondue appetizers

mini trifle

mini strawberry shortcakes

ice cream bowl

sauces

and the list goes on and on and on!


These little, itty bitty cuties are the perfect size cheesecakes...especially when you are still stuffed from Buffalo Chicken Nachos and black bean soup.


Key lime whippers are fast to whip up. I timed it. It took three minutes...yep and three ingredients. Yep.YEP!





Key Lime Whippers

Ingredients:

1 14-oz. can of sweetened condensed milk

1 6-oz. can frozen limeade concentrate {NOT thawed}

1 cup heavy cream

graham cracker crumbs

1 lime for garnish if you would like

Directions:

*Whisk the condensed milk, limeade and heavy cream in a large mixing bowl with a whisk attachment.

*Beat until fluffy and a bit stiff.

*Chill for at least 6 hours or overnight

*Before serving, place a few graham cracker crumbs in the bottom of each tea light holder.

*Top with creamy filling, garnish with a slice of lime and if you want it really ADORABLE...top it with a squirt or two or three of whipped cream.

I made several without the graham cracker bottoms and I think I liked them even better...so...whatever floats your boat!

Stunning and simple for a summer evening dessert.

It is just as yummy as a no bake cheesecake! {to clear up some confusion...these are cheesecakes, not drinks...}

Happy almost Friday!




THIS AND THAT...



Photo credit: Driscolls

Thanks Rene!


My new favorite from Trader Joe's

Shared with: tidy mom, comfy in the kitchen, pink saturday,raising homemakers, at the picket fence, little brick ranch, recipes to run on, friday potluck, this chick cooks, stone gable

16 comments:

  1. This sounds awfully good - just right to make the weekend a little happier! Have a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cheesecake/creamy desserts. This looks like a great, and quick, recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this sounds like a refreshing and sweet drink, perfect for summer!

    I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my weekly link-up, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/06/09/key-lime-strawberry-shortcake/

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know this is going to ruin me right? As soon as I saw this one, I just knew I had to try it. We'll be trying it out this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I love that table setting... but after 16 hours of work tonight... a drink might do it!
    Fab post Happy PS!
    Smiles~
    C

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks so good. I love dishes but I have to restrict myself to the paper kind for entertaining. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lee..I am trying to make you sweeter than you already are! :"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donnie...I do use paper plates, too and a lot of paper to-go boxes...even at home! :) But I do love white porcelain plates from Target... :] xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect summertime treat! I love key lime desserts, and these look very tasty and refreshing! The Buffalo Chicken Nachos also look and sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh those sound so delicious! Maybe we will finally be getting warm enough weather here in the NW to get to enjoy them outdoors huh? :-) And I love your ideas for making your items so multi-functional. Thanks so much for sharing another fantastic post with us at Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stopping by from At the Picket Fence... Your Key Lime Whippers sound wonderful. I'm definitely going to try them SOON! Since you like dishes, I hope you'll stop by My Place to Yours for a visit. I love playing in the dishes, too! Happy 4th

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look amazing! We will have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those sounds soooo good, Lisa! Thank you so much for sharing this easy, yummy recipe!!! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love multi-function and I really appreciate your point of view. With that said, the Key Lime Whippers are right up my alley. I can't wait to try them. There are so many ways you use that recipe. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We made the same dish tonight! YUMMY! I love the way you repurposed your tea light holders. YOU GO GIRL! Thanks for sharing this yummy easy key lime dessert ON THE MENU MONDAY!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  16. My first time to visit you. I am a new in foodie blog therefore.

    This is also a worth to try. Sounds healthy.

    TY for sharing.

    Happy Monday,
    /Chubby Chieque

    ReplyDelete