Sunday, June 12, 2011

"Meet My Friend Monday"...Janelle from Comfy in the Kitchen

You all know by now how much I love to share my friends with YOU and Janelle is no exception!

Her love for her family and for others radiates through her blog and into the lives she touches in her community. She is one bloggy friend I would LOVE to meet in person. Please welcome my friend, Janelle...

"Oh, how I love to cook…just the thought of cooking gets me so excited! Some of my favorite memories have started by being in the kitchen preparing meals for a celebration, a person in need, or simple meals for my own family. I have also been blessed to share these memories with my children on chairs, pulled up to the kitchen counter, eager to help and learn.

Ephesians 2:10 says “For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Cooking is one of my favorite ways to serve our Lord and I truly believe it is a gift he has given me to share with others."









My friend Carla brought this delicious salsa to a play-date a few years ago...it was an absolute hit with us moms! So, of course I had to get the recipe. I make this often for family, friends, and guests...It is delicious not only with chips but also on salads, tacos, and wraps! Mmmmm!!!


This recipe is dedicated to my dear friend Krista who has been begging me to share it since I made it on our ladies Narnia night, lol. Sorry it took me so long!





Cilantro, shoepeg corn, black beans, Italian dressing, garlic, Tobasco, chili powder, red pepper, green pepper, onion, cubanelle pepper, tomato





Rinse and drain black beans 





Place beans and corn in large bowl





Chop Cilantro





Dice red and green peppers





Dice tomatoes





Dice Cubanelle 





Dice onions and garlic...add everything to bowl







Pour Italian dressing over top





Add Chili powder





Toss well and let sit in refrigerator covered until ready to serve. 





Serve with chips, on top of a salad, in a wrap, or on a taco! 





Beware...it does NOT last long! 








Homemade Salsa





3 Tbsp chopped Cilantro


1 can (11oz) Shoepeg corn


1/2 onion diced


1 red pepper diced


1 green pepper diced


1 Cubanelle pepper diced


1 medium tomato diced


1 can (16 oz) black beans


1/2 cup Italian dressing


1 Tbsp fresh garlic 


(you may substitute 1 tsp garlic powder)


1 Tbsp Tobasco


1 tsp chili powder





Drain and rinse black beans in a colander. Mix well with all other ingredients. 





Q. What is Cilantro? 


A. It is a delicious herb used in many Spanish, Indian, and Middle Eastern dishes. I recommend purchasing it fresh by the parsley at your grocery store (not in the package). Read the rubber band that is wrapped around it to make sure you are getting Cilantro. 


Q. What is a Cubanelle pepper?


A. A banana pepper. It's sweet and is found next to the red and green peppers at the grocery store


Q. What is Shoepeg Corn?


A. It's a small, white and very sweet corn.





Enjoy Ladies!


 Love to you, Janelle 









Thank you, Janelle for the example and encouragement you are...and for taking the time to share a simple, crowd-pleasing recipe we will all be able to enjoy this summer!...and...a HUGE Congratulations to being one of "THE TOP 25 Faith Blogs"!

7 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Lisa!!!! Love to you, Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Janelle's ministry. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm starving right now! This salsa/salad looks & sounds divine...and I think I have all the ingredients here, except the cubanelle pepper. Oh well, a short jaunt to the grocery store won't be a problem.

    Thanks for sharing Janelle & her life!
    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janelle, You are adorable! I adore you and your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janelle...I can't wait to share this with my friends on Thursday night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful recipe!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete