Sunday, March 27, 2011

Chocolate Lava Cake {aka Chocolate Brownie Souffles}

,





Chocolate Espresso Lava Cake
Adapted from my friend Julie Hasson


Prepare 6 half pint, wide-mouth, mini canning jars

I always double this recipe...because they are great to have on hand to pass out to neighbors and friends! My hubby reminds me not to use the word "always"...but truly, I have never made a single batch...always made 12, honey!

Ingredients:

1 cup flour

¾ cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder

2 tsp. instant espresso powder {the jury is out…more friends like it when made with General Foods International Flavors Coffee Drink Mix…but…ONE.BIG.OLE.PROBLEM. WANNA guess? YEP. HFCS. NOT good for you. :}

1 ½ tsp. Rumford baking powder {Aluminum-Free}

1 cup unsalted butter, melted

1 cup organic sugar

1 cup light brown sugar, packed in tight

4 eggs…no soy flour this time

2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

½ tsp. pure almond extract

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips OR 1 cup chopped Resse’s Peanut Butter cups {EVERYBODY”S FAVORITE!!}

*chocolate syrup

*homemade ice cream

Directions:

*In a medium bowl, sift flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder and baking powder all together. Set aside.

*In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter and sugars until it is all blended.
Add in eggs and whisk away. Add in extracts. Mix all ingredients together.

*Spoon about 2/3 of a cup into prepared half-pint mini canning jars {I squeeeel…because they are so a.dor.able!}

*Top each with chocolate chips or whatever you want that will melt!!! Press chips into batter with the back of a spoon. Cover and let chill overnight…or at least for an hour.

*Preheat oven to 350*. Let jars sit out at room temp for about five minutes to avoid cracked glass!!!

*Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO KEEP BAKING THEM. They will be runny. Let cool for about 5 minutes and top with HOMEMADE ice cream and Organic Midnight MOO Chocolate Syrup {Trader Joe’s}

20 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I'm stopping by from the follow along at Making the world cuter. That was such a great idea...I follow you and then you follow me and we all meet new people. Here is a link to a post I did with all my information: http://measuredbytheheart.blogspot.com/2011/03/it...
    I am happy to be following you!!--connie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This looks like a keeper. Going to make it this weekend for sure!! Love your "cuteness" in ordinary things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you on Rook No. 17 - when i saw the words Chocolate lava cake i just had to click on it. :)

    This sounds lovely! Tnx for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks so amazingly good..Gonna make it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa,
    you seriously need to teach me how to take really good pics like you!! That photo makes me want to cheat on my diet!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, these look so good. I'm already drooling.

    I'd like to invite you to share this recipe with my linky, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there.
    http://alli-n-son.com/2011/03/31/toffee-snickerdoodle-cookies/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this over on Sweets for a Saturday. This looks like such a decadent and fun treat to share!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa, This looks fabulous! Your first photo, oh my! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa,

    I saw this on Sweets for a Saturday. I saw chocolate and expresso and you HAD ME! YOU HAD ME!! This sounds and looks delicious. I am a chocolate fanatic, so I must definitely try this recipe.

    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful recipe and presentation too! I love the fact that they are prepared in advance, and definitely look forward to making a batch (or two)of my own!

    Thank you so much for sharing your talent at Rook No. 17 and for your persistence and patience, despite my temperamental button code. xoxo, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a great idea and they are so cute. I am definitely a fan of all things chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a great idea to put them in jars. I will definitely have to try this!


    The Farm Girl Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  13. katie and the farm girl...thank YOU! I hope you get a chance to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. these look and sound great! and easy! i will have to try this! i found you on the may'd linky party, and with all these recipes that look so fabulous i will be cooking/baking for a long time! : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh gracious saked! Your pictoral ideas are wonderful! There is so much inspiration here!
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE your mason jar chocolate lava cake. I will certainly make this great recipe!!!! It is a winner! There is something wonderful about individual servings and especially if it is gooey and chocolate.
    Thank you so much for participating in ON THE MENU MONDAY and making our menus much sweeter!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love your cake in the fruit jar, it is a great recipe. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just looking around your site! These look fantastic. I'm not suppose to have caffeine either, but I cheat a little with chocolate! I think these would be a perfect dessert for hubby on our anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! Ok,
    1. I love that you love the Lord like I do
    2. My parents are missionaries too!
    3. Why haven't you invited me over for this lava cake? Hahaha. It seriously looks AMAZING.

    BTW I'm stopping by from A Bowl Full of Lemons and am your newest follower. If you have time I'd love for you to stop over at Adventures of Our Fami-Ly and take a look at my blog.

    Have a great weekend,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're Lava Cake looks amazing!! I hope you come share it at my link up party today :) www.whatscookingwithruthie.com xoxo~ Ruthie

    ReplyDelete