Thursday, June 30, 2011

Condiment/Tea Light Swing



One advantage to being married to my handy dandy hubby is all the fun projects we get to do together! One advantage to having a son who loves rope, twine, tape, tools etc. is that there is always "stuff" around the house to use!

My hubby is thrilled that I am cleaning up the scraps of home improvement materials...shoved into every nook and cranny available out in the garage and I am thrilled that he is helping me make something useful and pretty!

Since we didn't have enough time to go berry picking before his PT appointment {remember he wiped out on the dirt bike????} we decided to make a condiment swing for our next BBQ. Right now it is home to tea lights {We ran out of IKEAS BIG ONES!}. I took half-pint canning jars and hot glued manila twine around the tops...to add a bit of a rustic feel to break up all the white in the kitchen. They were glued to two slabs of WAINSCOT and threaded with manila rope to give it the look of a swing!

For the BBQ, the jars will be filled with ketchup, mayo, mustard, relish, and BBQ sauce. Having it hover above the food will give us a bit more room for food and it will be something a bit different! It may be fun for a salsa bar, too. Endless possibilities for entertaining. FREE IS A VERY GOOD PRICE!







I am almost out of WAINSCOT, so the projects are almost done...unless I find someone who is getting rid of their leftover scraps! JUST KIDDING, honey!

HOW TO...

1. Lay out 2 planks of wainscot.



2. Lay out half-pint jars and mark where you want them to be glued to the plank.



3. Make sure you have good, strong, durable rope to hand your candles. THIS COULD BE A FIRE HAZARD!



4. Glue gun planks together. Make sure the primed boards are on the outside. One on the top and one on the bottom.



5. Cut lengths of rope and glue gun to the necks of the jars.



6. Drill holes in allk four corners. Measure to make sure your swing hangs level and even!



7. Thread rope through the holes on your plank with the rope supporting the bottom board...just like a swing! It will give it a bit more support.







8. Once your swing is level and hanging in place, glue jars to the plank and enjoy!

I think I may even use these as vases!!!



Happy Thursday!

Shared with: not so simple housewife

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! So simply and yet so divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog, thanks for stopping by mine! What a great place here!! And I love the art & craft ideas, you are so gifted. Wish I had more time to do crafts but I love the ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure are creative. My hubby says no more projects so we are just enjoying these pretty summer days. Have a wonderful 4th of July Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is SOOOO cool! You are super creative and I just love it. I have some leftover beadboard in the garage and now my mind is spinning with possibilities. :-) Thanks so much for sharing this at Inspiration Friday this week Lisa!
    Vanessa
    P.S. We really did LOVE the key lime whippers and have made them twice now! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vanessa...Thank YOU! You will have to let me know what you come up with! :} I am so happy you are liking the key lime whippers. the easiest of recipes are sometimes the best! xo

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. We have a deck that be an ideal place for one of these. May just have to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete