Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Friendships...the BEST "hand-me-downs"


After getting up extra early this morning to get started on my Mundane Monday list of to-do's, finishing LAUNDRY {SERIOUSLY CAN'T STAND IT!}, and then getting together with two dear friends...Which NEVER happens on Mondays...I was once again overwhelmed with how blessed I have been with friends in my life. Do you ever just stop and think about the friends you have had in your lifetime? How they have shaped who you are today?

I have always loved hand-me-downs. So much so that when I was younger, I would have my twinsie break in my new clothes until they were soft and worn. To this day, I hate clothes shopping and still love hand-me-downs from my twinsie and friends who have gently worn the scratchy newness off!

As I was thinking of hand-me-downs, I was thinking about the friendships that have been passed down to me from my mom. Friendships that are safe, friendships that have passed the test of time, friendships that have not had to be earned. They have been friendships that have influenced me from the inner most core of who I am. They have been friends that are younger than my mom, my mom's peers, and the little, older ladies my mom has always adored. They were ladies that promised to pray for me no matter where I was in the world.

Even before I was married, I KNEW that my friends were going to play a very important part in the lives of our children...and they have. As I was reading in Philippians this evening, this is what I read: "And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ...to the glory and praise of God." Philippians 1:9-11.
I love this verse. This is MY PRAYER as a parent. It isn't just me, my hubby, my family, but it is my friends, too who are teaching my children {even if your children are young...they are observing!} what it means to have love abound more and more...it is my friendships that are shaping their ability to discern...

As Laurissa gets ready for college, I asked her if she would write a little bit about what friendship means to her:

Friendship…

“Best friends are hard to find, difficult to leave, and impossible to forget.”

We are relational people that are meant to have friends and have relationships with them. Sometimes we don’t always choose the right friends or people to hang out with. Yes, we can have many friends, but few can be our best friends. A best friend, in my opinion is there for you no matter what. She will tell you when you’re wrong, love you when it may not be easy, and most importantly will help not hinder your walk with Christ.

When I was in 6th and 7th grade I thought I had a good group of friends. As I look back now they were not good friends at all. They were just my sinning buddies. My 8th grade year through my senior year is when I learned what good friends really are. They have been a huge blessing to me and to my family. They have told me when I was wrong; they have helped me grow in my walk with Christ. They have encouraged me through struggles, prayed for and with me, and brought a smile to my face when I needed it most!

As most of you know, I went to a small private Christian School and this year I have been extremly blessed by the other eight girls in my class. We have all grown very close to eachother this year and have friendships that I hope and pray will last a lifetime. About half way through the year, one of the girls decided we (all the senior girls) should start a Bible study together. So, every Monday we would meet, talk about our week, share the highlights and our stuggles, go through a passage in the Bible, and share prayer requests and then pray together. That was such a blessing to me, because we could all be real with eachother knowing that we were not going to judge one another or be judged. These girls are like sisters, and we are... Sisters in Christ.

My mom’s friends have had a huge influence on me as well and I consider them my friends, too! I have spent time with her friends. I still like to hang out with just her friends and do things even if my mom’s not there with us! My best friend’s moms are like moms and friends to me as well as other amazing women that I worked with or are staff at my school such as Debbie Eaton, Noreen Lane, and Lisa Montanez. I have been so blessed to have all these different women in my life. I have learned so much from these Godly women that are older than me. They have been there for me to talk to and always willing to lend me wisdom or advice from their experiences and walks in life. I think it is so important to surround yourself with and be surrounded by Godly women. You can learn so much from them.

It is vital that our friendships are buliding one another up and not tearing one another down. Yes, you can and are called to rebuke a friend when they’re doing something wrong, but that doesn’t mean to stop loving them. We should not be slandering one another or gossipping which for us girls, if we’re being honest, is one of our struggles. We are to be self-sacrificial in our friendships, always putting their needs in front of our own. One thing I have learned this year is not to give up on a friendship. Just because a friend may not be putting very much effort into your friendship or may seem not to really care. This doesn’t mean you have to stop caring, praying and being there for them. Showing them Christ’s unconditional love isn’t always easy to do if their friendship has been absent. We are called to love our neighbors and our enemies.
"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others." Philippians 2:3-4

This week make it your goal to show Christ's unconditonal love to all your friends and enemies. Set a good example for your kids of what good friendships look like so they will strive for the right frienships in their lives.

What friendships are you handing down to your children?

Shared with: women living well<, multitudes on monday

2 comments:

  1. This is such a good post - that everyone who comes into our home, our friends, all make an impact on the lives of our children. Hopefully, for the glory of Christ. Something to always consider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post. Your daughter is blessed to have the knowledge of true friendship.

    ReplyDelete