Saturday, November 26, 2011

Iced Molasses Cookies



Yesterday was an over the river and through the woods to Oma's house we go kinda day. Literally! Caleb and I spent the day at out with my parents and the three little nieces. It was such a beautiful drive. The sun was out for a bit and the leaves were still beautiful and you could see the snow on the mountains in the distance. My heart was FULL. We had the bestest Thanksgiving with my hubby's side of the family and with friends...and then getting to go visit my family the next day was so great! We were invited to make doughnuts, but as soon as we got there, we sat at the table and enjoyed leftover pie! They introduced us to their new little bird Jimmy Downy. He is a most welcome spunky guest at the bird feeder that sits right outside of their dining room window. He was adorable and entertaining!! The little girls were into the bowl of nuts {in their shells} asking for help in cracking them...it is soooo the little things in life that are so sweet! They had spent the night with Oma and Opa and had helped decorate the Christmas tree on Thanksgiving night. They slept right beside the tree in a bed that had been made up with our old quilts, blankets and pillow cases. I loved seeing them all cuddled up watching movies for the afternoon. Did you ever have lazy days during the holidays? These girls will definitely have some fun memories for their memory bank! My hubby and I are now taking note on the special things my parents do and the the memories my in laws have made for our children...because we will be copying them A LOT when our children have children!!!

Anyhoo, we got all caught up on news and plans for Christmas and finally around to making the doughnuts which was most likely just an excuse to get together!!!

As Caleb and I drove home, it was a great reminder to me to take the time to bake with others. It isn't always convenient and it will take more time...but it is in such simple tasks that we are blessed to spend a bit of extra time with those we love especially when the calendar is screaming "TOO BUSY"!

I hope that this Christmas season will be a time of JOY as you reflect on the birth of Jesus. It is this baby that changed the course of History in offering us hope for eternal life!





Iced MOLASSES COOKIES


Cream Together:

¾ cup butter, softened

1 cup organic sugar

Add:

¼ cup Brer Rabbit Molasses {unsulphured, mild flavor}

1 egg

Stir together and add to molasses mix:

3 cups flour{or 2 cups flour + 1 cup bread flour}

2 tsp. baking soda

¼ tsp. sea salt salt

1 tsp. each of cinnamon, ginger, and cloves

*Mix well

*Roll dough into balls...about the size of a golf ball

*Roll balls in organic sugar

*Place sugared dough balls on SILPAT or onto parchment lined cookie sheets

*Bake for 10 minutes @ 375* or until cookies start to "crack". Let sit for a few minutes.



Makes about 16 cookies.

Once cookies are cooled, melt white chocolate or candy discs and drizzle over cookies and sprinkle with coarse sanding sugar.



Enjoy!

Usually organic sugar is optional, but in this recipe it makes them oh.so.good!




"Yet in thy dark streets shineth, the everlasting Light, the hopes and fears of all the years, are met in Thee tonight."

Shared with: comfy in the kitchen, stone gable, newlyweds, larson lingo

11 comments:

  1. I love hearing about family gatherings and the photos are wonderful too! It's vital I think that we all take more "time" to just be with others...something that kinda gets overlooked these days with everyone so busy. I do think the gift of time is the most precious gift for our children and grandchildren.

    All this frenzy over shopping sorta drives me bonkers! Jesus is the reason for the season and yet it gets so commercial. Not my style! :-)

    The cookies look and sound delish ~ I'm sure they smell divine. Thanks for sharing!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your stories Lisa. They always make me smile. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet that the kids were able to help decorate that tree and then sleep beside it in a homemade "nest" of blankets and pillows. It is something they will remmeber all their lives, I'm sure. What a blessing.

    My mother used to make big molasses cookies like that. Of course ours weren't drizzled they were iced with a dollop of icing smack dab in the center and usually had a pecan pushed down into the icing. These sound wonderful.

    Hope you have a wonderful Sunday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving...time spent with family, is time well spent!
    The cookies look delicious, I may just have to try these too ;-)
    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ANOTHER great sweet for Christmas! YUMMY! I am getting my baking list together and these will certainly be on it! Thanks again for joining ON THE MENU MONDAY!!!!!
    And thanks for your lovely Thanksgiving note! Right back at you!
    xo Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so yummy...I am going to give them a try.
    How nice to come across such a refreshing blog. I'm going to be your newest follower.
    Shel from South Africa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look so good, I will be looking for my package of them in the mailbox...teehee ;)
    What a sweet way to spend the day after Thanksgiving.
    You are a good mama, wife, daughter, aunt , and friend.
    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are wonderful looking cookies. I love how puffy they look. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Visiting from OTMM!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa,
    Those cookies are just amazing and I can't wait to make them. Thanks for sharing and hope you are having a great day!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you,ladies! The extra flour in them and the size makes them big and puffy! I think they may be the family favorite...next to chocolate chip, of course! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my I love molasses!! These look especially delicious, could you wrap some up and mail'um to me!! Pretty please!!!

    Thanks for sharing this on Newlyweds Recipe Linky!

    ReplyDelete