Thursday, November 3, 2011

Autumn Chopped Salad



One of our very favorite wedding gifts was a "YOU ARE LOVED" plate. Needless to say, like most wedding gifts that are used, it broke in the olden days when our wall phone cord stretched across the kitchen desk and pulled the much-loved and used plate right off the counter. It was my hubby who had answered my phone call. I heard the plate fall and then I heard the silence as my hubby quickly tried to figure out how to tell me what had broken. We searched high and low for another plate, but couldn't find the same one anywhere. A few weeks later my hubby made dinner for me with the help of our children and set the table with our new "You are special today" plate at my place setting. Our children were so excited to show me THE PLATE! It was a new memory and a new plate to be used to mark many new celebrations!

We use this plate when a family member or friend is to be honored in some way. It has even been used to celebrate a good report for the achievement of a difficult task having been accomplished. Yes, it was a "D" on a report card...but, one of the Pearson offspring passed a certain language class by the hair of their chinny chin chin!



For those of you who only cook with specific measurements, you aren't going to like this, but I promise you that YOU CAN do it. You will feel like a domestic diva when it is done. There is no messing up this salad. REALLY. And when your mother-in-law asks you for the recipe she will be so impressed because all you have to remember is what you put in it...no measurements required.

This salad is really versatile!

Ingredients:

Chopped Romaine and/or Red Leaf lettuce

Corn or shoepeg corn

Tomatoes, diced

Apples {soaked in salt water to keep from turning yucky brown} I like Granny Smith

Red onion, diced

Avocado, diced

Blue Cheese Crumbles

Craisins {I like to soak mine in boiling water for a minute or two and drain...they are plump and soft and not quite as sweet!}

Hazelnuts, chopped a bit

*don't forget the bacon if you aren't a vegetarian!



{Balsamic Vinaigrette}


1/3 cup Balsamic Vinegar

2/3 cup olive oil

2-3 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard

Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste



An Autumn Lunch

Sparkling juice

Autumn chopped salad

Pumpkin biscuits or cornbread





Shared with: comfy in the kitchen

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet story, Lisa! And the salad sounds delicious! You always share the best recipes and inspire me in so many ways. And I so wish we were neighbors. I can't think of anything more fun than spending a day baking with you, sweet friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa-Thanks for the tip about soaking apples in salt water! Never heard of that before! Lemon juice..yes, but I will try salt water. Also loved the tip about boiling the craisins! Brilliant. Keep sharing those tips!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds (and looks) delicious! Thank You for the recipe!

    ♥Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had this right now! Thanks for sharing re: the salt water for apples...have not heard of that. I love Granny Smith's too!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete