Monday, January 7, 2013

The Happy Little Guest Room

Ahhh, an evening walk with my friend, Leslie...dinner made by my hubby and a nice hot bath  was the perfect ending to a Monday!

I haven't posted any pictures of our home in quite some time, so tonight is the night!

It had been decided years ago that once the children moved out, one of their rooms would become my craft room/office.  I had picked out a new paint color, the ceiling was going to be painted white and I even had the floor plan sketched out with a large work station on the opposite side of the BIG desk figured in.

Once Laurissa moved out...it became the storage room a.k.a "the wedding room"...but after the wedding, all of the crafts, papers, paper cutters, punches, desk and everything else was moved into the room.

It was not all it was cracked up to be.

Yes there was room.  Yes, it was nice to have a craft space with projects being left out...and being able to just close the door...but it was lonely in there for me.  It just did not feel right.  I was used to kissing my girlie goodnight, and checking in on her in the middle of the night, or crawling into bed with her and snuggling her when she was sick.  There were nights when her best friends would all be in there like little sardines.  Happy sardines.  Girls who had stayed up entirely too late and who could not be moved before noon the next day.
And there were always the mornings where we would find that Caleb had taken his sleeping bag in because he wanted to make sure his sissy was "safe"!!!

It was not meant to be an office.

Needless to say, my very sweet,sweet hubby moved everything back out of the room and it is now our HAPPY little guest room.  {I KNOW I have used little and happy entirely too much!}

The desk is back out in the family room...along with the mess of unfinished projects, but it has been so nice having a bed back in Laurissa's old room...and there are days that I will go lay down on the bed and daydream of all the fun memories that room will hold in the future.  I think it will be a fun room for grandbabies to take itty bitty "cat naps" in or a nice big bed to plop down on along with piles of books, blankies, stuffed animals and a tray of warm toast and ice cold milk!  And I will have stories to tell them about when there mommy was their age and all the special memories we had in the very.same.room.

I love this print.  It was my birthday gift from my BFF on the day David proposed to Laurissa .
It was a day filled with JOY, indeed!


These were signs that marked the lawn between the wedding ceremony and the reception.
They were too special to toss!


My hubby picked this out for Laurissa several years ago.  He installed a dimmer on it as she is not a fan of bright lights!
It comes in handy for the little nieces who need a  bit of light to go to sleep with...and I can check on them without waking them up!  Shoulda had this about 20 years ago!


I'm wondering why Miss Lauriss did not take her loud alarm clock???



Here it is...all ready for our next overnight guest, an afternoon of daydreaming,  giggly little nieces
or our girlie who still LOVES coming home as she waits for her hubby to come
HOME from being deployed.




...and what would a room be without ONE.BIG.UNFINISHED.PROJECT?
I can't wait to show it to you once it is complete!!


Happy Monday!






16 comments:

  1. Lovely! I want to stay over night!!! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is a lovely room...and you are right...I can see grandbabies taking a little "catnap" in there someday. It is great- now about that desk in the family room........... xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to join you in the grandbaby department!! Xo

      Delete
  3. Oh Lisa... How sweet of you! The room is beautiful... So tranquil and peaceful. So lovely! I would love to take a catnap in there. What a kind gesture-really a sacrifice for you to have your craft space--but keeping a haven available for your girlie and other guests. I'm sure she will love having a cozy space when she comes to your house.
    I'm sure you will come up with a creative solution for a craft space. There is a season to everything-- and my craft room now is filled with a child 's plastic playhouse! Not much crafting in there. Thanks for sharing this sweet space with us. Paula Romer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula Pie...I love the fact that your craft room is filled with a playhouse! I guess I should have made it clear that our family room is totally awesome with plenty of storage. I'm just too lazy to put things away at times...and entirely too proud at other times to leave things out...I just feel blessed to have plenty of space for those who need a place to rest...love to you.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful room! Can't wait to see your big project! I'm sure it will be amazing as all your projects are! Happy week to you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana! I wish you were my neighbor...as you would have inspired me to tackle the project days ago!! :)
      I hope you are having more success in the project department than we are!!! Xo

      Delete
  5. I love your guest room Lisa. I have always thought I might turn a bedroom into a craft space should one of our children leave home which is likely in the next few years. You have totally sold me on the guest room over craft room now - actually we need a guest room now. Some of my children camped in the backyard (which they loved and it is summer here of course!) so we could offer my friend's son from Germany who stayed with us over Christmas his own room. Yesterday I moved a cabinet and set up a crafting space in the corner of my dining/family room... it's where I make my cake stands. I used a shabby timber table and a floral tablecloth. The corner is light and bright as it is next to French doors. All my supplies are stored in wicker picnic baskets underneath and I have a stack of pretty vintage plates in a free-standing French style cream plate rack. Wish I could disguise the drill press though! It's rather big and ugly! I think I am going to much prefer being in the heart of my home rather than tucked away at the end of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann! Your corner craft room sounds perfect. I'm sure your drill press is quite the conversation piece. I think a guest room far outweighs the need for a craft room...even if it is only used a couple of times a year. It just seems to be a happy little room. :)

      Delete
  6. Love love love that print. I love all her stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Eva...her art is so cheery and beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it....very warm and inviting room! I too, love that print...received my very first print of her's just before Christmas, and now I want more :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have moved my craft room all over my house!!!! I love your pretty and welcoming guest room! I love your selflessness and concern for others first, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete