Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Buttermilk Biscuits with Homemade Whipped Butter


If you are looking for small little biscuits, this is not going to be your cup of tea, BUUUUT, if you are looking for tall, fluffy biscuits that might just remind you of a birthday cake minus the fluffy, sweet frosting, you are not going to want to leave quite, yet!

How the perfect biscuit is to taste is a HUGE debate...maybe as big of a deal as if cornbread should have sugar in in t or not, but thanks to the internet and a bit o' searching, you will most likely be able to find exactly what you are looking for.

I prefer the BOB biscuits {BIG OL'BISCUITS} They have to be big and they have to be fluffy and flakey, soft, golden, warm and able to be smothered with homemade whipped butter. That is one tall order. ANNNDDD, they need to look as pretty as a birthday cake.

Thanks to BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS...the biscuit recipe meets every single criteria. I have had biscuits that I am sure would hold up on any ice rink as hockey pucks and those may be fine for dunking in soup, but these biscuits are AMAZING!

{This is another recipe I always always always double!}


BUTTERMILK BISCUITS
Adapted a tad from BH&G

2 cups flour

1 TBSP. baking powder

2 tsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. cream of tartar

1/4 tsp. sea salt

1/2 cup butter, softened

2/3 cup buttermilk {If you don't have buttermilk on hand simply put a bit of lemon juice or vinegar in the bottom of your measuring cup and add milk to the 2/3 cup line. Let it sit for a minute to sour the milk.}

Preheat oven to 450*

Directions:


*In a bowl stir together dry ingredients.

*Using flat beater for Kitchen Aid, add in butter

*Add in buttermilk and stir until dough comes together.

*On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to about 1" thickness. I used my Grammy's three inch biscuit cutter to cut out the biscuits.




*Place biscuits on to a SILPAT or to a baking sheet.

*Brush tops of biscuits with a bit of whipping cream and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.




NOTE: You could re-roll and cut and re-roll and cut using up all of the dough until the moo cows come home. resist the temptation and bake up the scraps to snack on. The more you work the dough, the tougher it gets. REMEMBER< THESE ARE TALL BIRTHDAY-CAKE-TYPE BISCUITS! Also, you will not want to over bake them, so keep an eye on them. HOMEMADE BUTTER Take one cup of cold heavy whipping cream and a cold bowl. You could set them in the freezer for a few minutes if you like. Shared with: picket fence, comfy in the kitchen

Beat the whipping cream until it gets solid and you are past the soft peak stage. Add a dash of salt and enjoy.

Want to know how I first made butter? I forgot about it in my kitchen Aid as I was changing a diaper! Never underestimate the power of a Kitchen AID! They are power tools in their own right. It happened on more than one occasion. Even after setting the kitchen timer...I churned my own butter. Maybe that's why my hubby bought me a fancy schmancy whipping cream maker??? There is no making butter with those whipper machine babies. NO SIR-EE!


We served these biscuits on Diana's handmade bread boards. We use them all of the time and are they are such a treat to share with our company! People love having their very own authentic bread boards. They are quite the topic of conversation! Best of all, they will always remind me of our 21st wedding anniversary picnic! Be sure to visit her beautiful blog!


Shared with:  comfy in the kitchen


10 comments:

  1. I love the BOB bisquits, too. These sound wonderful, Lisa. I will pop over and see Diana's blog, too. After all, it should be pretty good with a name like Diana! xo The Other Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nana Diana...yes, you will love the other Diana. I am sure you will become friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, you are probably the kindest person I know! I so wish we were neighbors, we would have such fun baking goodies! These biscuits look heavenly! We like them big and tall, too. I can't believe after all the times I've over beaten my cream, that I didn't save it to smear on bread, lol! Definitely trying this recipe! Thanks for sharing, love you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh.
    I am a Big Ol' Biscuit girl too.
    Good biscuits are hard to find, and I can't wait to try your recipe.

    I just found your blog this evening , and I am a new follower.

    I'll be back!

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those aren't biscuits Lisa - they are scones! I've always wondered why Americans call scones biscuits and biscuits cookies! Buttermilk is wonderful to use in baking. Adds a real tang. I make my scones with cream and eggs rather than butter which means no rubbing in of fat so no danger of overworking the dough and when I lived in New Zealand I came across lemonade scones which use SR flour, a cup of cream and a can of lemonade or soda as you call it! They are super easy to make and super light and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ann...good to know. Now I learned something new.

    My sour cream scones are really light and fluffy...it must be the cream!

    Thanks for the food history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These biscuits look so pretty, I wish mine would turn out like that! I may try your recipe, and see what happens. I bought the ingredients to make your lemon/blueberry scones, and will send an update when I make them ;-) Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. these look amazing.. but will omitting the baking powder and cream of tartar (i do not have those) and using self-rising flour work?

    ReplyDelete
  9. How many does this make. I made this and rolled dough out to 1", used a 3" cutter and only got 5 biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look soooo good! I can't wait to make them but that isn't a biscuit cutter. It's a very old kitchen gadget used for chopping - as in, chopping up cabbage to cook or use for chow chow or sauerkraut.

    ReplyDelete