Saturday, November 19, 2011

Clay Saucer Pie




Grammy's Apple Pie

*This recipe will yield 4 sweetheart pies...one serves two!

*You will need 4 un-glazed clay saucers about 4 1/2" in diameter. Be sure they are not the shallow ones. You want the deeper ones to hold all of the apple filling goodness!

*Also, you need to make your filling up in advance, so that the apples absorb all of the flavors and shrink in the prep bowl and not in your pie!

STORE-BOUGHT pie dough {I LOVE Trader Joe's brand...because nobody can believe it is store-bought. Well, I am assuming, because they ask for the recipe!}

7 Granny Smith apples, peeled, sliced and cut into small pieces

1 Tablespoon lemon juice

3/4 cup sugar

2 Tablespoons flour

2 teaspoons cinnamon...be generous!!!

1/2 tsp. nutmeg. If you happen to have fresh, please do use it!

2 tablespoons butter, melted

a bit of heavy whipping cream

coarse sanding sugar for sparkly tops that glisten like snow!

{Directions}

*Combine apples, lemon juice, sugar, flour, spices and melted butter. Let it sit in the fridge for several hours or even overnight.





*Roll out dough just a tad.



*Use a bowl slightly larger than your clay saucer









*Distribute filling evenly between 4 clay saucers...be sure not to get too much liquid unless you don't mind soggy pie crust!

*Once all of the pies have their filling in them, take your bigger bowl and cut out 4 tops and place them on top of the bowls.



*Once the tops are crimped and you have cut a decorative steam vent, brush each pie with a bit of heavy whipping cream cream and sprinkle with coarse sanding sugar.

Bake at 375* for about 25 minutes or until golden and bubbly!



Okay, girlies, you are going to want to set your little pies on a juice catcher of some sort, because these babies like to bubble as they bake and if you don't want this mess in the bottom of your oven...making your home smell like the fire department should have made a call to your house...one of my biggest fears! How embarassing would that be? Another reason my hubby works for another county!!!!









Happy Saturday baking to you!

oh...one more thing. I finally found the site for the sweet little printables. I just used my stampin up punch and punched away

7 comments:

  1. Those are so cute, Lisa! I am going to copy this recipe and give it a try. Wouldn't this be fun for married couples to "share a pie" at a casual dinner party? xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delish! Thanks so much for letting me know. I've already printed it out. :-) Thanks re: the tags too. You always have such a special way of serving/gifting food items.

    Hope that you and your family have a fun, safe and blessed Thanksgiving!
    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa...just catching up on some blog reading.
    Your post about The Night Before Thanksgiving was adorable. We ate fish sticks almost every Friday when I was growing up. I rarely prepared them for my kids! I may just do this for Mr D and I since we are hosting this year!

    I have yet to try Trader Joe's crust! It's on my shopping list now...and I am heading over to set up the printer...right now!
    ~Lynne
    [w/L]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana...thank you. That wouldddd be fun for a Valentine dinner. Good idea! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat...thank you. I got the food presentation gene from my momma, so, I will pass the compliment on to her. She can still make a bowl of ramen noodles look divine! Happy Thanksgiving to You!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynne...have a happy fish stick night...and I can't wait for you to try the pie dough. It is so good and easy to work with. Nobody else probably has as much of a problem with dough as me, but it sure has helped my pie dilema. Have fun grocery shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I just found your blog and I love it! This pie is SO cute, I'll be borrowing this idea for sure. Happy to be following your blog. I too live in the Pacific Northwest. :-)

    ReplyDelete