Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Bird Bowls and White Slip Covers



Happy November!!

Hope you all are well and are looking forward to the holiday season! Can you even believe it is already here?

I think November is my favorite month of the year! Do YOU have a favorite month?

Sooo, we are back to rambling about whatever today. No agenda, no theme. just Y.O.U. and me...chatting. AHHHH!


THIS...

I am always curious what other people set their tables with or what they keep on their tables at all times. It could be a bouquet of flowers, old salt and pepper shakers, a seasonal table runner, Grandma's old butter dish etc. I think it tells a story. My Grandma Metko was extremely prim and proper. Nothing and I do mean nothing went on the table without being decantered. So, if we were having burgers, the mayo would go into a seperate dish. She kept her ketchup in a cute tomato squeeze bottle that was decantered from the ketchup bottle. Got the idea? BUUUT mealtime was always extra special because she took the time to do what she considered special and "acceptable".

Most meals include our bird bowls. Do you love the name? To get our babes to take bites of food when they were learning to eat table food, we would have them say "tweet" "tweet" and then we would give them a bite. Our momma did that with us and so we carried it on with our "little birds" so, we keep bird bowls on the table for small portions of side dishes that may be extra soupy like baked beans or for applesauce, salsa, dips etc. They are so much fun in the different colors. We also keep a small glass jar with bird spoons. It is just the little things at mealtime that can add a bit of whimsy and tradition. Guess what my children will be getting for shower gifts when they fly away and start their very own families??? Bird bowls and spoons!...


THAT...

We needed a chair in the corner of our bedroom. I don't know why...but we have always had a chair or couch in our bedroom. We bought one that we LOVE, but it was too big...so it is now taking up residence in the family room. It dawned on me that our outdoor deck chair would be perfect, but the terra cotta cushions were NOT moving into our bedroom. So, I bought a set of two white {actually not quite white and not quite cream, kinda in between} curtain panels at IKEA. They are GREAT! I just tucked it in to see how it would work and I LOVE it. They are nice and thick which means there is no need to double up on the fabric. It looks great! All I need to do now is wash the fabric, iron.iron.iron and for $15.00 we have the "just right" corner chair in our cozy, little bedroom!

Outdoor furniture usually goes on clearance in July and it is much more affordable than regular furniture and it is just as comfy with the big ol' cushions they are sold with!


BEFORE:




AFTER:



THE OTHER...




Have you thought about making mini pies for THANKSGIVING? I thing they are the cutest!

5 comments:

  1. LOVE- that chair for your bedroom. How wonderfully comfortable THAT must be! And, bird bowls-never heard of that particular tradition but I LOVE it...might be one worth stealing and using!

    I often make mini-pies for the Holidays AND I make the tartlets, too. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diana...yummmm! Tartlets sound so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what cute pies! I love mini pumpkin pies. I freeze them for my kids school lunches !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the chair! The mini pies are so adorable and I've always wanted to make them but never do for some reason. But you've just inspired me to try them! Lots of love to you friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The chair looks great and of course, the price is right!

    LOVE the mini-pies ~ just loving individual desserts now.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete