Sunday, October 9, 2011

French Theme Week: Pots de Creme



Happy French Theme Week!

Since we haven't had a theme for awhile and I had promised a few of you another theme week...I thought it may be fun to do something a little bit different!

I always start missing Europe around this time of year! So, since a trip to Europe is not in the near future...we can all pretend in our own kitchens for the week!
Get out the pearls, the high heels, the candles and the nicest dishes you have...and don't forget the music, the wine goblets and the bright red lipstick! {Thank YOU, Julia!...not sure about the lipstick...anyway} BON APPETIT!


I feel like I have been in France for the day...surrounded by sweet confections, Creme Brulee and Pots de Creme.

Getting ready for parties is the best...the day before...as all the plans come together.

If you would like a decadent dessert...look no further than a box of pudding and 1 pint of whipping cream. That is it. I used one box of Trader Joe's dry chocolate pudding mix and added 1 pint of heavy whipping cream. I mixed it until it looked like mousse...then, I put it in a pastry bag and piped a bit into my "little pots". It made 8 servings. {Everybody else calls this chocolate mousse...except for me!}



For you foodies...I know the French make it like a custard in a water bath...but when you are short on time and need a little bang for your buck...this will do just fine!

Before serving, you will want to top them off with a tiny little swirl of white chocolate whipped cream {whipping cream made with a bit of white chocolate Torani syrup!} TAAA DAAA. Easy Peasy! If you want to make them a bit more Autumny, a tiny sprinkle of cinnamon sugar or nutmeg will make this beautifully decadent!!



Now, next time you are out shopping...don't forget to pick up your ingredients for this European dessert with a fancy name! A bit of cream is good for your complexion!

BTW...I timed this. It took three minutes to make and maybe three minutes to pipe it into the glasses! I'm sure it could take even less time, but I like to get the swirls just right!

Nothing sweeter than mini Pots de Creme...what do you think?
Mini canning jars make adorable little pots. Tie on a bit of burlap or twine to make it extra festive!



OH YOU HOO...If you are using a different box of pudding, just follow the directions for making pudding. Instead of using MILK, substitute whipping cream. I suggest heavy whipping cream. MERCI!

Post Edit: This seems to be a favorite! I have received more e-mails and requests for this recipe and I think it's because it is easy, gourmet-looking and CHOCOLATE! Perfect for showers, parties or just because!

Shared with:

Yvonne at Stone Gable

6 comments:

  1. What a great idea...simple, but elegant! I love those jars, where did you find those?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy...thank you! I used to buy our yogurt in them. Trader Joes carried them for a long time and then discontinued them. I have found a few at Goodwill, though. I hope you can find some. I will let you know if and where I find them again. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love that you used yogurt jars! and i love how pretty and delicate you made a dessert that COULD be just goo in a jar, ha.

    thanks for sharing! love you/love your blog. sorry i disappeared for some time, i truly love following your page and regret that i haven't been commenting too much as of late. still following though! promise to be better from this day forward ;)
    -meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogpsot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Lisa, for the info! I have never seen those anywhere before...very cute. We are traveling to the States soon(we live in Canada), so I will put those on my list of things to look for while browsing/shopping. And, I will keep my eyes open for other pretty jars that might work too. Thanks again for your help. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah SwartzentruberOctober 30, 2011 at 12:01 PM

    Lisa, these are sooooo good! They're one of my favorite "go-to" recipes for quick and easy, yummy desserts. I made them after I read about them on your blog (I think you made them for a baby shower awhile back?) Anyway, I was just at Trader Joe's a couple weeks ago, and our Trader Joe's has discontinued their pudding mixes. I was SO BUMMED!!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sarah...maybe you can ask if they will be getting it again or maybe another store in the area has it. Our TJ's still carries it, so they still have their supplier.

    ReplyDelete