Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Burlap Baby Growth Chart



Well, hello girlies! Hope you all are doing just peachy!

I know...I have been doing lotsa blog archiving lately...because it is summer time and there is fun to be had!!!

Not sure if it is just here in Oregon, but everybody {ALMOST!} is either pregnant or have just had a baby. We know of nine as I type!

SOOOO, I wanted to do something a bit different because I am getting bored with the same ol' projects and that is NOT good. Baby showers are so much fun to go to and making gifts...if you have the time...can be really fun, too!

I saw the cutest baby gift in a boutique, but I felt like it was outrageously priced, considering the materials it used. SO, I decided I could make a very similar one for pennies! And, YES! I used change to purchase the burlap! :}

So, with my craft store coupon {yay for the 50% off ones!!!} and what I had on hand...each gift will cost me about $2! I love it!

Here is what you will need to make it yourself {MIY}:

Burlap...I bought what was left on the bolt...about one yard and 2/3, I think
Just make sure you have enough for 4 foot lengths.

a bit of decorative ribbon

1 wooden dowel

glue gun

20 safety pins

cardstock paper and a decorative punch

embellishments and gift box or bag

Directions:

*Cut burlap as staight as possible...4 feet in length by 6 inches in width

*iron fabric so it looks a bit more chic than shabby {only if you like!}

*fold burlap over wooden dowel and glue gun it.

*for a boy you may want a knot out of your decorative ribbon on each side of the dowel...and a bow if it is a baby girl.



*print "name" "age" and "date" on cardstock. I did mine on the computer and then cut each tag out with a punch. Make 20 so there sre plenty for the new baby.

*punch small holes with a hole punch into each tag, so that they can be pinned to the growth chart. I wanted to make things more complicated, so I used metal reinforcers for the holes!!! No need to do this! {I broke my own rule of keeping things SIMPLE!}



*the safety pins can be gathered and placed into a small envelope or spice bag with a drawstring. TAA DAA!



I will be using a growth chart tag for the outside of the gift...just for fun...since babycakes is not born yet, I will be putting down the due daye and age will be how many weeks momma is at the time of her baby shower.

Directions that will be included in with the gift:

Place growth chart 1 foot or more from the floor...Enjoy documenting the growth of your child. Simply roll it up and keep it safe when your child is done growing!

I think this will be a special gift!

Shared with: at the picket fence, crafty scrappy happy, overflowing, talent tuesday

17 comments:

  1. That is adorable! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing Lisa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know we only "know" each other in the blogging world...but you can make that count 10! We are expecting another bundle in early October and this would be such a sweet addition to his room...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a terrific idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tam...you would love making one! The embellishing was definitely the most fun! Baby bells on baby gifts are so much fun to add! Thank you, Tam!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carmella...YES...well, since we are bloggy friends we will need to add your baby boy to the list! October is not too far away! How exciting. Now I remember you saying something about a cool treat or something about being pregnant! CONGRATULATIONS!!!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diana...I just took the idea and made it for a LOT less and used the embellishments I had around the house. I know you like taking what you have and making something new! It makes one feel so frugally delightful!! :} Thank YOU!!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa,
    This is so cute!!
    Hope you're doing well! I haven't talked to you in awhile.
    Rene'xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your creativity is ENDLESS. So cute, bunny!!

    xoxo, ME

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such an adorable idea! I love it. You should link this up to my air your laundry Friday party that starts on Friday at 12:01 am. I'm going to tweet it right now though! Thank you for sharing. xo Jami

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what a great idea. Anyway I could use something like that not having a baby...

    So happy you visited my place today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous work you done here. It is best idea to Wrapping gift very easily. Your shared idea is very not time consuming as well as best to do in any occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a terrific idea! This is so darn cute! Thanks for linking it up with my blog party {re}create into something new! I hope to see you every week over at my place!

    Kaitlin--The Not So Simple Housewife
    http://notsosimplehousewife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very sweet, Lisa! I have several baby showers coming up this fall, so I'm collecting ideas! Great MIY!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is absolutely adorable Lisa! What a thoughtful and meaningful gift. The hand-made gifts are always the most special and this would be treasured by anyone who receives it! Thanks so much for sharing yet another fabulously creative idea with us at Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can I just say DARLING! I'm so excited you shared this at my Wednesday party! I'm thrilled to be your newest follower!!! I hope you'll visit again soon and return the "love" if you haven't already!!! Your blog is so incredibly cute...I totally have to visit often so I can continue being inspired by you!!!

    XO, Aimee
    Your Bloggy Friend

    PS Just checking to make sure you entered my $50 stencil giveaway!!! :)

    ReplyDelete