Thursday, October 14, 2010

Grandpa Tom's Shrimp and Corn Chowder {Our Sipping Soup}




O.K. If there were to be one thing on my blog I would beg for you to try, it would be THIS.SOUP. No kidding!

Grandpa Tom and Grandma Judi {my mother-in-law's BFF for about 58 years!!!} have been part of our family since my hubby and I have been married {over 20 years!} They treat our children like their own, never forgetting a birthday, special milestones, and sport's games when they are in town!

They are amazing friends and amazing cooks. This soup has become TRADITION! It is so easy to make, but it is fancy enough in the taste department that it could be served to the Heads of State!

We like serving it in glass punch cups as an appetizer for our Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner! It has affectionately been dubbed "our sipping soup".

It is soooo good even our friends have adopted it as a family TRADITION in their homes.

ENJOY!!!!


Grandpa Tom’s Shrimp and Corn Chowder
{Our Sipping Soup}

1 cup unsalted butter

1 onion, chopped

2lbs. cocktail shrimp, rinsed and drained

2 {14.75} oz. cans cream style corn

1 can Rotel Tomatoes

Freshly ground pepper to taste

1 pint half and half

1 half pint heavy whipping cream

1 lb. Velveeta Cheese {I KNOW! BAD.BAD.BAD...but the fami does not like the healthy version...and for the sake of TRADITION...it is okay!!! We will just be juicing for the next 10 days. That's all. DONE!}


Directions:

*Saute onion in butter until onion is soft

*Add shrimp, corn, Rotel and pepper to taste.

*Add remaining ingredients.

*Heat until cheese melts. It is ready to serve!!! YIPPEE!!

We have made this soup in the crockpot and it works great. Just add the shrimp about 10 minutes before serving.

Serve with crusty Artisan bread and a nice dinner salad for a main coarse...just be sure to serve LINDA'S Chocolate Decadence for dessert!

Shared with: stone gable

6 comments:

  1. Sweet! I was just reading about my friend Jana's tomato & corn pie & then read this...I'm sending the Lord's trying to tell me I need to make something w/ tomatoes & corn!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, whipping cream and Velveeta cheese? I can taste it already. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you don't have to beg...i will take you up on the offer. you did offer to make it for me, right ;). this looks really yummy and i can't wait to try it. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club and welcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lisa, This looks fabulous! I'm making this one for sure!!!!! No wonder it is a tradition in your family. Look for this yummy soup ON THE MENU MONDAY sometime this fall.
    Thank you sweet friend, for participating in ON THE MENU MONDAY with your "head of state" soup!
    xo Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, Lisa! I found your soup on OTMM at StoneGable. It sounds wonderful! Not something you'd want to make on a weekly basis but for a special occasion, absolutely! Just wanted to say Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete