Monday, August 25, 2014

Oma's Roadside Apple Pie




It seems as though summer should just be starting and here we are, once again, anticipating the beginning of a brand new school year.  OH.MY!!

                        With the start of a new school year come apples…lots and lots of apples and I can hardly wait to make apple pies, apple crisps, apple cake and some fresh applesauce.

                        Do you love stories?  I do.  Maybe it hearkens back to a childhood without television and video games, but I love stories, especially sweet little stories that challenge me to think about others.  So, here is a story to go along with Oma’s Roadside Apple Pie that I hope you will enjoy.


My momma, also known as “OMA” to her grandchildren, and poppa known as “OPA” were on their way home when they noticed a home with a large apple tree with fallen apples surrounding the tree at its base.  They decided to go knock on the door and ask if they could pick the apples off of the ground and, in return, would make the owners an apple pie!!  The gentleman who opened the door was so kind and told them he never did anything with them anyway and that they were welcome to gather as much as they wanted.  

They picked the apples and finished their drive home, happy as little larks.
I called my parents that evening and I was so taken in by her story as she was more excited to make the apple pie for this family than she was about the apples!

I was so challenged by her story and it got me to thinking about things.  How easy is it to think about doing things for others?  It is super easy.  BUT what are my actions?  Do I actually take the time to do some of those things I think about?  Not always. 
I realize there are seasons in life where doing for others is near impossible when everyday is a struggle to care for your own family...but sometimes it can be the smallest of things that can make the biggest difference!!  

Soooo, it may not be the bartering system you use or making an apple pie...but you could easily share extra produce from your garden, clippings of flowers from your yard, a handwritten note, leftovers for friends, or picking up a favorite candy bar from the grocery store...JUST BECAUSE!!


Oma's Roadside Apple Pie
makes a 9 inch apple pie

Prepared pastry dough for a double-crust pie

5 cups apples
splash of lemon juice
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
butter
milk or cream
cinnamon sugar

Peel, core and slice apples.  {Thin slices are BEST!}
Fill a large bowl with cool salt water.
Place apples in water as you prepare the apples.  Drain thoroughly.
Splash with lemon juice.
Mix sugar and flour together and add drained apples.
Mix together well... making sure the apples are coated with the mixture.
Line the bottom of a 9 inch pie plate with the pastry dough.
Fill with filling.
Top with top crust and crimp the top and bottom together.
Brush with milk or cream and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

Bake at 375* for 45 minutes or until pie is golden brown and bubbly.

Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.

A little tip:  I like to bake my pies on parchment lined baking sheets to avoid burnt sugar pie filling on the bottom of my oven!!




This.That.and The Other:



THE WEDDING!!  Here are a few pics for those who have asked.  Many more to come...LUCKY YOU!!  :}  This white chapel was just perfect...all the way down to the chapel bells they got to ring.






Thank You, Brenda for the pics.






Our happy little newlyweds.  Thank you, Nana!





"Back to school" organization is going on.  I feel like I am needing to re-nest now that both children are married and nesting on their own.  At this rate, we will have nothing left in our home!!  







Little Miss Adalynn fell asleep before our baking day started...isn't she the cutest little bug that ever was?  Her bubbly personality is starting to really starting to show.






The happy little momma and her girl.  






The last of the hydrangeas.  Have I mentioned white is my very favorite "color"??
There you have it...lots of blah.blah.blah!!


Happy Monday!!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I wish I had that whole pie! :) Yes, I do love stories. I agree...in the days of no TV, cell phones, computers, etc., and being able to play outside freely lots of stories were created. We used our imagination and became very creative!

    Your photos are beautiful!
    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. MORE...PICTURES...PLEASE!!! I would love to see more wedding pics! The Newlyweds are adorable in their wedding photo and in their honeymoon pics! So cute. Keep them coming! Details..details are desired, too!!! I love the picture of Laurissa and babycakes. Is that an apron??? Swoon! Miss A. is toooooo precious!
    Loved the story about your Oma, and the cake is so yummy. I loved the encouragement to do "small things with great love," Didn't Mother Teresa say that?
    God is in the details, I am SURE of it! Thanks for encouraging us. Keep the posts coming...in between loving on that grandbaby, I am sure! Paula Pie

    BTW...fall is SORT-OF in the air!!! The mornings are crisp and the evenings are cooling off a bit.

    ReplyDelete