Monday, September 12, 2011

Scott's Firehouse Cornbread



I know a few of you are less than thrilled with reposts...but some of the oldies are goodies and I love passing along things that I enjoy with you...even if it is old news! :}

Have a Happy Day!



A few years ago, my hubby and I hosted a weekend conference for married couples. We chose the video series LOVE AND RESPECT by Emerson and Sarah Eggerich. We LOVE them. I think if you are planning on getting married or have been married for 99 years, there is something we all can learn!

Emerson was explaining how important it is for a man to feel respected by his wife while at the same time it is very important for wives to feel loved by their husbands. Respect for a man is one of his deepest needs.

I know. This is a cornbread post...not a marriage post. :}

During the conference, I took notes, shook my head in agreement, laughed at stories Emerson told as my hubby and I had plenty of inside jokes. I think, though that some things I smugly tuned out because after all we had been married for about 17 years, which is 17 years longer than a lot of people!

That verynext day. YEP. Sunday afternoon. As I was working on the weekly menu and finishing up the grocery list, I asked Scott if there was anything else he could think of that I needed to pick up at the store. He said, "BISQUICK."

I was thinking to myself: I do not buy BISQUICK. I do not use BISQUICK. It takes just a few minutes to make whatever it is that one might need BISQUICK on hand to make. There is no nutritional value in BISQUICK. In years past I made my own version of BISQUICK...why on God's green earth would you ask me to buy BISQUICK?!

My response: "There is NO WAY I am buying BISQUICK!!! Why do you need BISQUICK?" Scott: "Well, I thought I would make dinner and I wanted to make you a really good cornbread!" Snooty tooty pouty ME: "What's wrong with the one I make?" Okay the conversation went on and on. He was so sweet and was fine that I refused to buy the BISQUICK. OH.WHAT A SPOILED BRAT I was being...to say the least...all OVER BISQUICK!

As I was finishing up the shopping I headed down the baking aisle. All of a sudden, I felt absolutely horrible. Not to mention feeling like a total hypocrite. I walked past the bright yellow boxes of BISQUICK. I immediately called my hubby and apologized. He said, "that's okay, honey, you're right. I'm glad you are so careful with what you buy and how you take care of us." I started tearing up. I grabbed a BIG box of BISQUICk and quickly headed to check out.

Scott met me in the garage and carried in the groceries. As soon as he pulled out the yellow box, he had the biggest smile ever! He gave me a huge kiss and promised me it was going to be THE best cornbread EVER! Guess what? He was right. It is my absolute favorite and everybody else in our family loves it, too!

BISQUICK is regularly purchased and even has it's very own glass container with a little label that reads "BISQUICK". You may think this is funny, but it serves as a reminder that I am called to respect my husband and in return he will show me love. The principle works in reverse as well. The more my hubby shows me unconditional love the more I respect him.


"Nevertheless let each individual among you also LOVE his own wife even as himself; and let the wife see to it that she RESPECT her husband." Ephesians 5:33



Scott’s Firehouse Cornbread


2 cups Bisquick

6 Tbsp. cornmeal

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup butter or {1/2 cup coconut oil for vegan}

2 eggs or {2 tablespoons soy flour for vegan}

1 cup milk or {1 cup unsweetened soy milk for vegan}



















*Mix Bisquick, cornmeal and sugar together.

*Melt 1/2 cup butter in microwave.

*Add milk and eggs to melted butter.

*Stir.

*Pour milk mixture into Bisquick mixture.

*Stir.

*Pour batter into 8x8 greased baking dish.

*Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes until golden
brown.

Whatever you do, don't forge the honey butter OR yummy jam!!

Honey Bear Butter

1 stick of butter, softened

1/4 cup honey

a pinch of sea salt

*Mix ingredients together and whip for a couple of minutes until it is fluffy.

*Place into glass container and store in fridge.

*You will want to get it out a bit before serving so that it softens a bit.


Variations:

Add buttermilk instead of regular milk.

Soymilk may be substituted for regular milk.

Add: 1 jalapeno, 1/3 cup white cheddar and 3 sliced green onions, thinly sliced.





Shared with:  the Hungry Little Girl

38 comments:

  1. YUMMY! I love cornbread, but honestly have never mastered a good homemade cornbread, so I always buy box. I made a good cornbread casserole but I think it too had boxed cornbread. Same with brownies...sometimes I think we just need a good box mix (C:

    As for posting less, you need to do whatever you need to do, and since I haven't read your blog for long, it'll probably all be new to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our blogs are like letting someone read out diaries and we can chose what to share. I'll visit you when you post and I know you will visit me back, when I post...lol....That cornbread sounds like a keeper. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kirsten...you will love this. It is also great to mix up the dry ingredients ahead of time, freeze it, and just add the liquid ingredients when you are in a rush. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donnie...yes, I do love visiting you.
    our blogs are like diaries, and I love sharing our life, but not everybody enjoys the nitty gritty. Thank you for always being so kind and thoughtful toward our family. You are a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reposting it. Now I can attempt it!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks yummy, I am gonna have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this story ~ thanks for reposting as I missed it the first time around. Isn't it weird how the 'little' things can grow into huge issues if we don't monitor our words and thoughts?

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, I just found your blog (through Pinterest). As a Christian I completely agree with your premise, but as a Southerner, I have to say I never, EVER make cornbread with sugar! That is cake, not cornbread! LOL, to each his own. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just mixed this up and it's in my oven -- thanks! One note; the butter is not listed in the ingredients list at the top (I caught it in the directions though). Smells yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too found this on pinterst,I love cornbread.I am currently doing the Love and Respect series as well as part of our small group with 2 other couples.It is something I look forward to every monday night.There is always food to share,maybe some night I will make this cornbread and share the story about it.
    Thank you for sharing PINK.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your site through Pintrest. It is really great. I have a question. Do you think that it would be ok to use homemade Bisquick instead of the store bought kind in this cornbread receipe? Thanks for the time and effort that you put into your site.
    Terry F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terry...thank you so much for stopping by. Somebody else made it with their homemade mix. I am sure it could only be better! It may not be the exact same, but I would love to hear how it turns out for you. :)
      I hope you visit again, soon. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
    2. After having this for dinner last night with Kitten Cal's white bean chili (another fantastic recipe site Kitten Cal's Kitchen), hubby proclaimed this as "the only cornbread he ever wants." It was a big hit with everyone. Thanks for the delish and easy recipe!

      Delete
    3. I started ran out of Bisquick and was about to make this. I searched online and found a recipe for Bisquick without shortening. It turned out good. A small section of the middle was a little gooey. It could be like that because of the mix I used.

      Delete
  12. Do you make your own pan release?/ I have been thinking about it lately.
    PS: This cornbread sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to try it! My cornbread is always too dry

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was really good, thanks!! I made it tonight. Started making it and realized I ran out of Bisquick. I just did a quick search and made my own Bisquick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy it turned out for you...maybe it just needs a few extra minutes next time. Impressive that you made your own Bisquick on a whim. Have a great week!

      Delete
  15. I loved the cornbread and the story behind it!
    I will try for sure! It will be a reminder not to be snappy to my husband, too! I also like to make everything from scratch, and my husband likes to take shortcuts! But everybody raves about his food!!!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just wanted ar recipe for cornbread not a lesson in morals

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just ran across your recipe through Pinterest. LOVED LOVED LOVED your story behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the recipe and the story behind it! An earlier post stated that they wanted a cornbread recipe and not a "lesson in morals"....people are offended so easily these days. If you do not like the content of a particular blog, simply find one the suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Jacqui...i am happy you liked the recipe AND the story. :}

    ReplyDelete
  20. Found this recipe on Pinterest and just made my first batch-- DELICIOUS! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi L. shanna...yay!!! I'm glad you liked it. :)
      Thank you for taking the time to let me know...

      Delete
  21. I always used Jiffy but always wanted to learn how to make from scratch. I came across this article on pinterest and decided to try it..(Also someone needed to hear they story God makes no mistakes) I can get a little snippy to with my husband lol.. Any way I absolutely enjoyed the cornbread my 10 year old son went outside and when he came back in he said "Mom it smells good in here. I love this recipe and I look forward to making it again possibly with Jalapeno, Cheese and corn. Thanks

    By the way what is pan release?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous...I am so happy you LOVED this recipe. Thank you for taking your time to comment. :} Pan release is homemade non-stick rub for the pan. I make it with organic shortening, flour and oil. :} Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  22. Pinned this recipe back in the Spring. I, too, am a bit snooty when it comes to Bisquick. I almost never have it in my cupboard. I mean really, I make MUCH better pancakes and biscuits from scratch than a box ever could. :0) My family begs (okay, maybe not quite) for my home made goodness.

    But something about this recipe intrigued me, and being out of my usual ingredients I decided to give it a try. One word ... YUM!!!!! I'm a believer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am happy it didn't disappoint...I will pass the compliments on to the CHEF! Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  23. This looks perfectly fluffy!
    Thank you so much for sharing this at Wednesday Extravaganza! Hope to see you there this week again :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. If I made a double batch, then could I use a 9x13 pan or would it not be enough? (making it for the holidays) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous...yes, if you double this recipe, it fits perfectly in the 9x13. That is exactly what we do, and it turns out perfect every.single.time. Happy Holidays. Enjoy!!!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous...yes, if you double this recipe, it fits perfectly in the 9x13. That is exactly what we do, and it turns out perfect every.single.time. Happy Holidays. Enjoy!!!

      Delete
  25. Lisa - Thank you for sharing this recipe and your story. I know from experience when I react negatively to an idea my husband has it will definitely come back to teach me a lesson of some kind! It helps knowing I am not the only one God has to work on in regards to this matter. My husband LOVES cornbread and I am going to make this for him and thank God again for loving me enough to correct me.

    ReplyDelete
  26. BEST CORNBREAD I'VE EVER MADE OR HAD HANDS DOWN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I sіmplу had tο thank you ѕo
    much all over аgaіn. I'm not certain what I would've dоne without the entiгe hints diѕcussed by you on mу questіon.
    It had been an absolute alarming concern in mу ρosition, but spеnԁing time wіth yοur exρегt
    mannеr you handled thаt took mе to
    weep wіth dеlight. ӏ'm thankful for your support and even pray you know what an amazing job that you'гe getting into trаining mаny others with the aіԁ of yоur blog.
    Μоre thаn likely you hаvеn't got to know any of us.

    my blog best gps running watch 2010

    ReplyDelete
  28. I havе been exploring for a bit for anу high-qualіtу
    articles or blog posts on this kind of space .

    Exploгing in Yahoo I eventuаlly stumbled upon thіs website.
    Studying thіs info Ѕo i'm satisfied to show that I have an incredibly good uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I most without a doubt will make certain to don't omit thiѕ ωebsіte and pгovidеs it a
    look гegulаrly.

    Takе a loοk at my ωeb sіte; at home remodies for Yeast infections

    ReplyDelete
  29. ӏ have taken notice that in digital cаmera moԁels, special deviceѕ
    help to concentrate automatically. The aсtual
    sensors involving some digitаl cameras changе in contrast, while others
    use a beаm wіth infra-гed (IR) lіght, particulaгly in lοω lighting.

    Hіgher standards camеrаs frοm time to time use
    а mixture оf both systemѕ and
    might have Face Ρriority AF where the digicam can 'See' а face
    while focusing onlу on that. Тhank уou
    for sharіng yοur οpіnіons on this website.


    my homeρage: Baby Elliot - Eloise eating rice cereal for the first time

    ReplyDelete