Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Easter Dinner Organization...for leftovers


Don't forget: SHARPIE, tags, tape for labeling containers








As we all begin with our individual preparations for Easter which may include out-of-town guests, travel plans, pet care, housecleaning, coupon clipping, stocking up on paper towels, tin foil and groceries, it is easy to forget about LEFTOVERS.

I could care less about any of the leftovers. Having said that, I can get myself into a major tizzy if we don't come home with Auntie Debie's broccoli salad and Oma's dessert. "Mean-spirited" might be a better adjective, actually. You would be too!

How many times have you been cleaning up after your Easter DINNER in anticipation for dessert {at least that is the order in which we do it!} and you discover you are short on containers for leftovers? Seriously, it used to happen EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

You can only save sooo many Cool Whip, sour cream and cottage cheese containers! Then, if you are lucky enough to find the actual containers, you start breaking out into a sweat looking for the lids. We have had our share of Saran Wrap and rubber bands wrapped around a container with greasy gravy and ham one TOO many times...all over the back of the car. I wonder how many of you have had a food disaster heading to or returning from an Easter dinner? Anyway, misery loves company. {PLEASE DO TELL!}

I hope you aren't checking for Grammar here. ANYhoo, enough is enough.

Several years ago, I started planning for the leftovers. I decided to add to my Cash and Carry stash to ensure that we all had DISPOSABLE containers to pack leftovers in. Can I tell you how nice it is for everyone to be able to take containers home without needing to return them? 'Cause I can't even remember how many times I have ended up with my Momma's orange Tupperware from the 70's, knowing, it had better not end up in the bags for GOODWILL. It is also nice for your fridge to NOT be cluttered with three sour cream containers only to have to take the lids off of all three before finding the leftover green bean casserole! I know it could be labeled with a SHARPIE, but it still stressed me out.:)

AHHHHH, it is so nice. It is not a huge investment, either. You can purchase 5o take-out boxes for less than $5.00. I usually have other containers in different sizes only because I use them for alot of different projects, but you could easily decide on a basic size and go with one kind, or you might want to go halvsies with a friend. I have two other friends and my twinsie that I have split cash and carry products with and it works out great!



So, if it floats your boat to save containers, just make sure you have the lids! If you want to stock up on disposables...be sure to plan for leftovers...your hubby will be happy for the turkey sandwiches, you will be happy with the pie, your children wont need to be rushed in for counseling due to the trauma of spilled food... and your car will thank you, too. I am guessing there is a reason why car fresheners smell like pine, vanilla or strawberries and NOT mashed potatoes and gravy or turkey!

HAPPY PLANNING!



*edited and re-posted

linked to:

2 comments:

  1. That was some great ideas. When my kids were young I decorated a Mickey Mouse cake to bring to a party and on the way in I dropped it in the parking lot, frosting side down...lol....After that I was more careful about getting a carrier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful way to be ready for the upcoming holiday!

    ReplyDelete