Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Oma's Granola and Breakfast To-Go






Alrighty. Let's chat about taking meals to people. I would love to think that I always have time to take a full on meal to those who need it, but the truth of the matter is sometimes we all just run out of steam or time or BOTH!

Here is something that has helped me out when I want to help someone out, but am feeling a bit less enegetic.

Granola is very easy to make and quite inexpensive considering how much it makes and that it is made with wholesome good-for-you ingredients.

SOOOO, instead of a dinner, you may consider taking a small breakfast/brunch. Not only is it fun to prepare, but I am sure it is a welcomed meal. One can only take so many pasta and chicken dishes paired with a garden salad, right?

For my breakfast to-go, I put yogurt into cups and added a few berries, added a spoon, a lid, and a tag {which I keep on hand}...and spooned fresh granola into a glass container {TARGET after-Christmas clearance!}VOILA. I then placed the four parfaits into a cardboard drink holder {my friends and family collect them for me.:)}so they would be easy to transport.

You may want to add a few bagels, cream cheese and orange juice...place it in a white bag...THAT IS IT!

If a you don't want to sign-up for a meal, you can take this as a "snack". Anyhoo, anyway you look at it, it is the kind thought that counts!

Happy Wednesday!


Oma’s Granola
Beryl Metko…with a few adaptations


Ingredients:

8-12 cups old fashioned rolled oats...depending how plain you like it.

2 cups coconut

1/2 cup brown sugar

4 tsp. cinnamon

¼ cup bran {optional…but oh.so.good for you!}

1 cup butter, melted

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1 tsp. almond extract

½ cup cane syrup or Agave syrup

VARIATION: Add 1 cup chopped almonds

Directions:

Stir all dry ingredients together.

Mix melted butter, extracts and syrup together.

Pour over oat mix.

Stir.

Bake at 250 for about an hour stirring every 15 minutes.

Let bake one more hour.

Let cool.

Place in glass storage container.

*In the Spring and Summer we love to pack this up and go for a morning picnic. You really need to take a morning picnic. It will lift your spirits for the day and will assure sweet dreams in the evening.



Shared with: comfy in the kitchen

5 comments:

  1. I have been looking for a granola recipe all over that did not include nuts. Thank you so much! Once again Lisa you save the day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a sweet idea and I'm sure it is really appreciated. Her recipe looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I've just recently gotten in to making homemade granola with my girls and look forward to trying your Oma's recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds absolutely delicious! And finally something yummy that i can use my agave syrup in! (got it for Xmas and haven't really known how to use it!).

    Tnx for sharing! :D

    ReplyDelete