Monday, February 7, 2011

MINI SWEETEA PIES and LOLLIPOP SWEETEA PIES



Okay. We are NOT talking bathrooms today and we are also NOT talking about my messy house OR laundry day on Friday and Today.

We are talking about the much-overlooked pie. In my opinion, cupcakes have taken over and they need to share the spotlight...just a bit. I love cupcakes, but sweet pies are equally as adorable and yummy...and there is way way more to a pie than chocolate cream and lemon meringue.

So, if the word "pie" paints an I LOVE LUCY episode in your mind, not to worry! You only need four or five ingredients. And no need to surf the net for the perfect pie crust recipe, either. Aren't you excited?

I am also listing this under Simply Frugal, because you get alotta bang for your buck. With the price of butter and the fact that water prices just went up, this is more economical to buy. {Not sure about you, but my kitchen looks like a tornado hit by the time I am done making my own dough. OKAY! Done justifying store-bought versus homemade! {Homemade is still best...in most cases!}

This is what you need:

1 box of Trader Joe's Pie Crust {It is truly as flaky and yummy as good homemade dough should be if you have figured it out...I think I am DONE trying!}

Favorite jam

1 egg for Lollipop Sweetea Pies

Vanilla ice cream or whipped cream or BOTH

Directions for Sweetea Pies:

Cut small rounds using a cookie cutter {I used Demarle Products}

Place into mini pie pan

Fill almost to the tippy top with jam.

I baked mine at 450* for 12 minutes...and they did not burn.

Embellish with small scoop o' ice cream and top with whipped cream!

For Sweetea Pies on a Stick:

I used a small heart-shaped cookie cutter and cut out dough hearts {I rolled the dough out just a bit.

Then place a tiny bit of jam in the center.

Place another heart on top.

Using the tines of a fork crimp the edges

Brush with a tad bit of beaten egg {I dusted mine with coarse sugar, because it sparkles!}

Place lollipop stick up through the bottom and bake @450* for about 7 minutes or until baked and golden. THIS is just a suggestion. My hubby would die if he knew I was suggesting anybody be putting paper into a HOT OVEN. I need to experiment on the next batch with insering the lollipop sticks after they have been baked.

Enjoy!

For gifting:

Place mini sweetea pies into cupcake liners. Place into Cash and Carry Bio Box. Use baker's twine to tie around the box and don't forget a card!

You may include a small pint of vanilla ice cream.


REASON FOR THEIR NAME: This time it is not a spelling error. Sweetea is spelled with an "ea" because they are just the right size to be enjoyed with a cup of tea! :) No need to diet...everything in moderation, right? SOOOO, you can have your pie and eat it too!

SHORT ON TIME? Forget about the sticks and enjoy cookeas. YEAP! Little bites of yumminess that tastes just like a pie!

Happy Monday!

Linked to:




Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. They are just adorable. I don't make many desserts since it's just the two of us and hubby is not a sweet eater but I might have to sneak these in for Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sending you a Versatile Blogger award and I hope you accept it. It's on my next post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how these treats turned out! They look so good!

    http://alove2create.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. i made something like these, just no sticks!
    http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com/2010/05/pie-potstickers.html

    who doesn't love little bites of pie? so cute, thanks for sharing :)
    -meg
    @ http://www.clutzycooking.blogspot.com
    @ http://www.myscribblednotebook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love pies, have only tried about 3 or 4 types yet and am dying to try out more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you...Pie's time has come! Sayonara cupcakes! And what better way to pay homage to pie, than with your adorable, delicious, and original sweetea pies on a stick! The little tartlets are darling too! Thank you so much for always having something wonderful to share at "A Little Birdie Told Me..."!! Jenn

    ReplyDelete