Monday, November 1, 2010

BUSYNESS



Sometimes life's busyness has a way of taking complete control of our lives. We can wake up in the morning and promise ourselves that today we are going to call so and so, get together with so and so and spend time with...or get together to help...and I am sure you are able to come up with a heap of other things to add to the list.

It is more than easy to get caught up in the craziness of LIFE!

Shortly after I was married, a close friend of mine was soo busy that the times we had shared together talking together, dreaming about our futures, and listening to eachother...soon became a thing of the past.
I had to be scheduled in. Literally! That was a rude awakening to the real world. I remember thinking to myself that I NEVER wanted my friends to feel like they were a number. Kinda like standing in the return line at IKEA. You take a number and sit until your number is called. Then and only THEN is it YOUR turn. They don't care that you have made three trips back and forth to get the right cabinet door, that your babies are screaming and in need of a nap or that your hubby has been at work all day long and the "quick return" while you are out on a date is the last place in the world he wants to be! SOMETIMES you need a friend to listen now...not later when there is "time".

How does this happen? Everybody seems to be okay with it. Unless you are a Momma bear fighting for family time...it seems that everybody is in the same boat. It is fine and dandy to put things off for when things settle down. We have no choice but to be understanding. I wonder how many of us are secretly longing for somebody...anybody to seek us out. To fight for time to spend with us?

I know that God uses people in our lives to teach us about the very heart of God.

In growing up in a very busy home, my Dad had a lot of meetings and did quite a bit of counseling. However, when he was home, he was rarely off-limits. Our rule was this: If he was talking, we were to stand beside him and hold his arm or hand or put our hand on his shoulder. Without fail, as soon as the conversation ended, he would listen to us.

When I was in the sixth grade, we took guitar lessons together once a week. What fun memories to have with my Dad. We learned to pluck and strum and compared our sore, calloused fingers!

In high school, I loved to run, so he joined a running group with me to spend extra time together. The list goes on and on. I was important to him.

The point being, he took advantage of the time we had together. His time was used wisely and his children all benefited from the sacrifices he made. He took every opportunity to seek me out and to spend time with me...all along demonstrating to me the HEART OF GOD!

Even if you have not had an earthly Father to dote on you, your Heavenly Father is seeking YOU. He really IS! If your earthly Father left you as a child, God is NOT going anywhere. He is encamped around you. He is seeking your heart...specifically, your whole heart.

As I was gazing {blurry-eyed} at November's calendar yesterday, and feeling overwhelmed with how busy it seems {to me, anyway!!} to be, I found myself having to "schedule" my friends in. EXACTLY what I promised myself would never happen! I always wanted to be available to listen. I wanted to be the one who had time for people. Time to be available. Time to care. Time to pray. Just another HUGE imperfection of mine looking right back at me! I am so thankful that God's promises never fail!

I was reminded that we all have the same amount of hours in the day. We have NO control of our circumstances...as much as I wish I did. What we do have is the chance to allow the Lord's words to speak to our heart. He has all the time in the world. He wants us to come to Him...He is still seeking you out even if you have intended on calling on Him, planned on spending time with Him. He wants you to come to Him. Put your hand in His. There is nobody more important to Him than you. No need to take a number and wait...just eager ears that are already bent to listen to Your heart.

In reading in the Psalms, King David sums it up:

"I can never escape from Your spirit!
I can never get away from your presence!...
I could ask the darkness to hide me
and the light around me to become night...
but even in darkness I cannot hide from you.

Psalm 139:7, 11-12

May today be the day that you draw near to the Heart of God. He is already encamped around you. Oh how wonderful for a Father to have His child draw near to Him!
Thank You, Dad for seeking me out!! I love YOU.

5 comments:

  1. I used to have a friend who was from Nigeria (he died a few years ago) and he was notoriously late, his family always had to wait for him and he didn't seem phased at all... because he was talking to (and almost always) witnessing to strangers wherever he went! At his funeral so many people talked about how he impacted them by taking the time to hear him and invest in their lives. I think about him a lot and want that to be said of me... even if I inconvenience people occasionally.

    The other day we were leaving a wedding really late and the kids were super tired. I was saying goodbye to my brother in law who is not a believer and he really wanted to talk. Cliff sat is the car (patiently) for about 25 minutes with them while I witnessed to him and listened to his view of God. It was so great to take time and not hurry and be to busy to have a talk like that.

    It is super hard to not be busy all the time. I've been thinking about that a lot lately. Thanks for helping me to think about it some more! :) I think you're turning into quite the mentor to me! It's nice to have someone to look up to who has done it right (loves your husband, has great relationships with kids/friends, etc.) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful father/daughter relationship! I'm sure you will find that this is rare. So many women did not have a close and healthy relationship with their dad and it affects how they relate to men. Your dad has given you such a gift of his time.

    I've also been blessed with a father who always loved me and still does. I never doubted that even though he is far from perfect. He will certainly admit that too. :)

    Thanks for sharing these adorable photos too.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky and Debbie-Thank you for your comments!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We truly are blessed with our dearest Dad, and to think that our kids benefit from a godly Opa is an added blessing!!!!

    ReplyDelete