Monday, July 19, 2010

Chocolate Celebration Cake {aka Poppi's favorite cake!}

...made with pumpkin, almond vanilla milk and Nancy's yogurt...a new healthy makeover for an old fashioned favorite! Recipe coming soon!

Everybody needs a go-to cake that can be whipped up in no time. I used to be such a cake snob! I had never bought a cake mix. Honest! I was selling Demarle products and the last thing the hostess was wanting to do was to spend the day slaving on a from scratch cake, I started buying cake mixes! I about died! I remember stocking my grocery cart with lots of cake mixes...when they were on sale. I was so humiliated. I totally hid the boxes under my bulk bags of Bob's Red Mill grains, Wild Salmon and big heads of cabbage and cauliflower! I even avoided my favorite checkers, because they KNEW I made everything from scratch. Talking about PRIDE! Shame on me.

Anyway, since I can't leave anything alone {control issues?!} I finally substituted and added good ingredients to justify the fact that cake mixes can actually be okay and semi healthy!

So if you are running short on time and want to make the very best cake from a mix, here is one that might just become your new favorite CELEBRATION CAKE!


Chocolate Celebration Cake


1 package Duncan Hines Devil’s Food cake mix {I prefer Trader Joe's Chocolate Cake Mix}
1 small box vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1 cup Nancy’s yogurt
½ cup almond vanilla milk
1 15oz. can pumpkin
1 tsp. pure almond extract

2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Place all ingredients in mixer bowl, except for the chocolate chips. Beat on low for 2 minutes. Add chocolate chips. Bake for 45 minutes or until done. {Follow cooking directions on the back of the box.}
Cool for 20 minutes!

I made three small cakes. Two were made into a small celebration cake {we got our daughter registered for her college classes!} The other one is wrapped in the freezer for a last minute grab-n-go!

ENJOY and CELEBRATE!

Freeze until ready to frost.
Top with your favorite buttercream frosting.

3 comments:

  1. I always end up reading your posts late at night when everything looks so delicious & I can't make it. LOL Thanks still! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay. Thanks for posting this. I'm always looking for healthier alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This healthier version looks delicious!!

    It's okay to be semi-homemade. :)

    ReplyDelete