Friday, September 25, 2009

Wedding Vows



I am curious how many of us who have taken our wedding vows were truly thinking about those sacred words and the promises we made to each other . .. the oath we took before God, friends and family on the first day of our lives together as husband and wife.


My husband and I had considered writing our own vows, but we decided to not drift away from the traditional vows since we had already shaken things up a bit...Scott was not going to cut off his mullet (Sorry, mom!) and I was going to enter the sanctuary to the theme of St. Elmo's Fire! Seriously, what was I thinking?

I know for a fact, that as I look back on that extremely hot day in August...I had no idea how our vows would play out over the years, but I do know this...I am so very grateful for the vows we did take. I am thankful that they were more than words exchanged in a ceremony. They were words that would challenge our every human weakness... and to be honest, they were words that would truly shape and define our marriage on a daily basis.

Today, I was looking through old notes from the children. Amongst all of those little notes written with magic markers, dull pencils and glitter crayons, were notes and cards from my honey that clearly documented the journey we have been on for over 19 years. They were filled with every emotion possible... some were fun,others were sensitive, comforting,and full of hope. He reflected on God's goodness to us when we were in the midst of chaos and the list goes on. I was reminded , in a very tangible way, that marriage takes a lot of cultivating and nurturing, more apologies, and a ton of "I LOVE YOUS".

SOOO, tonight as I go to sleep, I am going to bed with a thankful heart. A heart that is thankful for the vows we took...and for the vows we have kept. Grateful for a husband who has loved and cherished me through thick and thin. Grateful for the time and effort he has invested in my life, the lives of our children and the dear ones he has touched on a daily basis.

...Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance. There are three things that will endure- faith, hope, and love--and the greatest of these is love. I Corinthians 13:7&13


PS. I am NOT a scrapbooker, but does the fact that I have saved every note, card and letter written to me by my honey qualify me for something? Aside from being a packrat? Just wondering???

No comments:

Post a Comment