Thursday, October 20, 2016

Mimi's Rustic Veggie Soup





One of the very best things about hospitality is the ability to love those that enter your home.  They may enter through your back door, the garage or through the front door...but they are entering your home and it is the perfect opportunity to lavishly bless them!!
I am sure we can all think back to at least one time in our life when we have entered a home with feeling fearful, discouraged, defeated, tired or anxious and we leave feeling incredibly full of hope, inspired, re.energized, refreshed, encouraged and loved after spending time with them.  There is a time for texting, face.timing, phone calls and messenger...but there is just something about spending time together!!

Years ago, after work, I drove home after getting some rough news. My mom was already at our house.  She met me at the door, hugged me tight.  No words were exchanged...just tears.  My welcome said it all.  "You are so loved and I am right here with you."  That simple message spoke volumes to me.  Hospitality comes in all shapes and sizes.  There are seasons of being on the receiving end and times to be on the giving end. What season are you in?? 


Mimi’s Rustic Vegetable Soup


3 tablespoons olive oil
3 carrots, scrubbed, cut small
3 celery sticks, thinly sliced
1 yellow onion, cut small
1 tablespoon sea salt
2 teaspoons pepper
1 tablespoon granulated garlic or 6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 large sweet potato, scrubbed, cut into chunks {Heat in microwave for 4 minutes for easier cutting!!}
In a large stock pot, heat oil a bit.  Add carrots, celery, onion, salt, pepper. And garlic to pan and sauté vegetables.  Add sweet potato.

14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 small zucchini, sliced
1 small yellow squash, sliced
16 cups of vegetable broth or chicken broth
4 cups of water
1 large can of golden hominy, rinsed and drained

Add tomatoes, zucchini, squash, broth, water, and hominy.  Simmer and serve.


Enjoy with crusty bread and citrus salad and a fun fizzy drink.

When I make this, I double the veggies and stick them in a SOUP KIT.  I put all of the veggies in baggies and freeze them.  It makes a great dinner to take to someone in need.  I include the recipe and the rest of the ingredients for them to "throw and go".  I think that smelling a soup cooking in your home is sometimes just what the DOCTOR ordered.  ANNNNDDDD, they are only having to wash one pot.  That's a lot of bang for the buck, in my opinion!!

"Beloved, let us love one another..." I John 4:7

No comments:

Post a Comment