Friday, January 11, 2013

"How To" Make a Wainscot Chalkboard



Assuming all chores are done, groceries are put away, babies are napping, and you have nothing to do, here is a FUN FRIDAY project!

Visiting the thrift store is one field trip and adventure I will always look forward to.  It used to be a "hush- hush" kind of a store to frequent, but now it is totally acceptable.  In fact, with some friends, a gift from the thrift store is just as wonderful as a fancy schmancy gift from Nordstrom or from Anthropologie!!!

After making our first wainscot chalkboard {my super talented father-in-law made the cuts and glued the border!} with leftover wainscoting, I decided that since we still had a couple of sheets out in the corner of our garage it may be time for my hubby and I to make another chalkboard for our happy little guest room!

I bought an old picture from the thrift store on sale for $2.99 or $3.99.  Can't remember exactly...anyhoo, it was heavy and made of solid wood, and I really liked the frame on it, so into the cart it went.  It was less than what I would have paid at any local craft store even if I had used my coupon!



 1.  Remove the print and the glass...very carefully!





2.  Sand and paint the frame in whatever color you want.  I chose white because it goes with everything and it looks crisp and clean!  Also, because it was going to be hanging on a green wall.  :}


3.  Measure the wainscot up against the frame if you can't find one of your three measuring tapes!  Be sure to connect your wainscot together for accurate sizing purposes.  This can make the difference in a snug  or sloppy fit.

4.  Cut the wainscot and fit it into the frame. 



5.  Once you are sure that it fits "snug as a bug", remove it from the frame and lightly paint one coat of chalkboard paint on it.  MAKE sure that the paint is well blended.  I shake it and let it sit upside down for awhile.  This stuff is super duper thick.  This will allow for a beautiful chalkboard that is easy to write on!  Let it dry and lightly finish it with one more coat of paint.


TAA DAH!  Easy Peasy.

Another reason I LOVE using the wainscot is that it provides lines to help
 with keeping a straight line.  :}

Happy Friday!



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! What a great, useful project that's easy enough that I can actually do it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa... This is so fun! I love all your chalkboard ideas. Thanks for sharing such fun ideas for re-purposing frames. I need to think outside the box more often for projects like this.
    Happy weekend! Paula R.

    ReplyDelete