Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Grammy's Glazed Nuts


Happy Tuesday!!
I thought I would give you a quick recipe for glazed nuts that are pretty quick to whip up if you need a little after dinner treat, but are short on time to make a berry pie, a peach cobbler or homemade ice cream!

Grammy's Glazed Nuts

1 1/2 cups raw whole almonds

1/2 cup sugar

2 Tablespoons butter

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 Tablespoon water {Sometimes I use vanilla}

salt

Directions:

*In a heavy 8 inch skillet {I like my Grammy's iron skillet!}, stir together the almonds, sugar,  butter and cinnamon.




*Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 6 - 8 minutes or until sugar is melted and golden.

*Add water and remove from heat once nuts are golden.



*Spread nuts onto a nonstick surface like a SILPAT, tin foil or parchment paper.



*Sprinkle with a pinch or two of salt.



SHARE and ENJOY!


This and That...

So, a few meltdowns later our "empty nest" is feeling a bit more like HOME!  I had no idea how much of our home was filled with their things that made our house feel like home.  Things like bulletin boards, pictures, Bible verses, nick nacks, games, their blankets, etc. so...I have dubbed myself the "RE-nester".  :}  And between batches and batches and BATCHES of cupcakes, I must say our little nest is feeling a bit more settled and cozy once again.

I went through all the games and narrowed them down a bit and put them in the dresser and added a fun little banner.




Since some of the "cuddle blankets" have new homes...the family favorite is  now taking up residency in a LARGE basket with a label to remind us of all the years we had to cuddle our children as we read stories, told stories, stayed warm during power outages and watched Little Rascals and Veggie Tales.  Life is a wonderful thing!





Shared with:  comfy in the kitchen



9 comments:

  1. Those nuts sound great. I bet I could make them with Stevia instead of sugar? I know it must be painful in some ways-all the packing up. Blessings- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you try it with STEVIA, you will have to let me know. I wanted to try it with AGAVE syrup, too. :} It has been an adjustment for sure, I just wasn't prepared. Time to get a new puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh friend... Just thinking of you as you are "re-nesting". Sounds like you are trying to navigate life's new norm and the twists and turns with a happy heart and grace. I'm sure it is bitter-sweet... Or maybe just bitter... Trying to figure out life now as you mother young adults who are leaving the nest. I know you want to see them fly... But it's so safe, warm and cozy under their Momma's wing... Nesteled safely in the nest. I pray the Lord will give you new vision and great joy as you walk this new path.

    Your dish looks delish! I loved the cute scalloped edge on the bag. I'll have to do that, too

    I'm guessing you are making endless cupcakes for the wedding. Good an to do it all
    ahead! You'll be so glad you did so much ahead if time. Have a great day!
    Paula R.
    Have a blessed day... Loved your cute tags

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi friend...thank you!! How true that we want to keep them nestled safely in our nest, but there is joy and sweetness in seeing them fly on their own and grow and be independent. It really is beautiful. And the best part is phone calls and visits for advice, answers to questions, a homemade meal or an invitation to go to the berry orchard on a lovely summer morning...love to you...

      Delete
  4. Oh Lisa...
    It took me five years to adjust to our empty nest. I even missed the laundry...
    Our children, God's gift, cuddled and nurtured by us, are now his gift to our community, country and the world.
    Living is wonderful!
    So blessed to be your blog friend!
    ~Lynne
    w/L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you put it lynne: "...now His gift to our community, country and the world." So true.

      Delete
  5. Lisa,
    I pray the Lord continue's to be with you and comfort you as
    your nest gets stirred. I can relate to the melt downs.
    Our empty nest is getting filled some...now that a new Grandbaby
    has arrived.

    Thank you for sharing your recipe's, they are always so tempting :)
    I could make them, as nuts are a big part of my diet.
    I would just have to leave out the sugar....
    I'm just imagining them to smell like the yummy nuts they make in most malls.

    Love,
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rene...I am sure that baby of your is not lacking for your attention. What a wonderful way for God to provide us mommas with a second go around!!!
      I just roast nuts plain without anything, too. They have such a great flavor...especially for salads. Love to you...

      Delete
  6. I remember the days when the nests empties...bittersweet, indeed! Just know they will always be in touch and make visits home that are so treasured.

    Can't wait to try the recipe!

    Hugs,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete