Kim's Cilantro Sauce Rice Bowls
adapted a bit...it was originally served as nachos
Cilantro Sauce Rice Bowls
For the Cabbage:
• 1 heaping cup shredded red cabbage
• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
For the Beans:
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 yellow onion, finely diced
• 1 poblano pepper, finely diced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 1 teaspoon chili powder
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed well
• 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed well
For the Cilantro Sauce:
• 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped. Be sure to soak and rinse the cilantro. With so many little leaves...they can be quite the little dirt collectors.
• 1 large garlic clove, roughly chopped
• 2 tablespoons lime juice/ juice from 1 fresh lime
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/3 cup olive oil
For the cabbage: Combine cabbage and vinegar in a small bowl. Toss to coat cabbage with liquid. Let sit for at least one hour, stirring occasionally.
For the beans: Heat oil over medium-high heat in a medium, heavy-bottomed pot. Add onions and
poblano and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste, chili
powder and cumin and cook, stirring, one minute more. Add beans and cook until heated through and
beginning to break down a bit, about 10 minutes. Mash beans against sides and bottom of pot with a
wooden spoon and stir to combine all ingredients. Taste for salt. Cover and keep warm.
For the cilantro sauce: In a mini food processor, combine cilantro, garlic, lime juice, salt, and olive
oil. Process until well combined. Set aside.
Fill bowls with prepared rice.
Top with beans, cabbage, and desired toppings such as olives, sour cream and cheese. And drizzle with cilantro sauce.
This is the perfect meal for those who are on dairy free, gluten free, vegan diets as this is just perfect without the extra toppings!!!
Thank you, bunny!