Monday, March 26, 2012

Peter Rabbit Veggie Soup


Later last night, our home was buzzing again.  I just had to ask the kids that were over for a visit one question.  I was wondering if other momma's would give fun names to food items and to meals in an attempt to make their children actually want to eat them.  NOPE!  Apparently, I thought everybody did that!  David's response was "we were told we had and that we HAD to eat it!".  I didn't pry.  I guess that is what a momma does when she has five boys. Not that I was a better mom by any means!  If anything, I was probably spoiling my children.  It wasn't just food either...it was the caterpillar tuck at night, and the "uppy, uppy, little guppy!" in the mornings!!  No wonder our little doggy is so spoiled with baby talk around here!

Anyhoo, we had all kinds of things we did.  They were still expected to eat what was served, but we did try to make it a bit more tolerable!  Maybe we didn't expect for them to love asparagus and spinach as children...I guess we could have saved ourselves a lot of time trying to think up names like...Peter Rabbit soup, kitty milk, and the list goes on!

Either way...This soup is great, even though our little boy was highly disappointed that there was no rabbit in it!  :}



Peter Rabbit Veggie Soup
Lisa Pearson

Ingredients:

1 onion, diced

2 potatoes, diced

6 carrots, peeled and cut into rounds

3 garlic cloves

3 Tablespoons olive oil

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. pepper

1 tsp. thyme

8 cups water

8 tsps. Better Than Bouillon Vegetable Soup Base

1  12oz. can tomatoes, diced or whole

Directions:

*In a large stockpot, sautee veggies in oil.  Cook about 5 minutes.  Add spices and garlic.

*Add water, soup base, and tomatoes.

Add additional spices, if needed.

*Stir and allow to simmer for about 1 hour.

VARIATIONS:  This is a great soup that you can other veggies to.  Green beans, corn, SPINACH, basil etc...anything that may grow in Mr. McGregor's garden...



Serving suggestions:  serve with sparkling cider, crusty bread, and chocolate chip cookies!




This makes a super easy lunch!





10 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    What a creative idea to get your kids to eat!!
    Have a blessed day!!!
    xoxo
    Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea-It sounds wonderful for kids as well as adults! You do such a nice job with your recipes. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Craving that soup now,especially after hearing the rain all night. However, we are leaving for warmer climates today so it will have to hold until we get back. Thanks for the idea. Miss you!
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa!
    You are such a blessing in my day!
    My husband has a saying. When he is about to eat a nice dinner, a treat, or when the kids would make something for him. "I can tell, this was made with love."
    I think that everything you do is made with love!
    The best of blessings to you and your beautiful family!
    ~Lynne
    .w/L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the above comment. Everything you do Is done with such love! What a joy you are! Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been a bit mia lately and just got causght up on your sweet comments. YOU are all such blessings to me and are always the best little encouragers. Thank you for always taking the time to leave the kindest of words. I hope you enjoy making this soup as much as we do. Have a lovely weekend...Diana, Lynne, Leslie, Nana Diana and Rene! Love to each of YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your soup idea is adorable. I love that you add anything from Mr. MacGregor's garden. I think making this soup with the kids would be so much fun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this soup and the name is genius, great sell to the kids. Please share it on my Foodie Friday Linky today. You might like my puree root vegetable soup... my kids liked vegetables when they were in cream and they couldn't identify them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We sometimes do. I think Peter rabbit soup would go over very well here!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this soup and your kid strategies. Hope to see you back next week on Foodie Friday.

    ReplyDelete