Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fridge Photo Organization {and a 40/40 update!}





Hello from beautiful, sunny Portland!!

The air is fresh and springy and I am nesting like it is nobody's business, and I am not even having a BABY!

Is that what happens when your son is graduating and your daughter is getting married?

It feels like a motor is revving and there is no time to slow down...

I am emotionally and physically exhausted, but feel like there is so much to do!

Since I started the "40 bags of stuff in 40 days" and have not been blogging much about it, I thought I would just bunch it altogether with what has been gone through so far.

One of the things I have refused to get rid of is the pictures of friends on our fridge.  I know it is a clutter party going on...but I love having the pictures out where they can be enjoyed.  It is also a fun topic of conversation, especially when guests recognize that you have friends in common! I just LOVE that!

However, there is no reason not to have it neat and tidy.  It has only taken me 20 plus years to tackle this project!

I had a leftover piece of wood with fabric on it I had saved.  There was no way I was putting the nasty, dusty board on the fridge, so, I cleaned it off, removed old staples and fuzz balls and covered it with leftover fabric from my kitchen curtains.  YAY!...a free project!!!






I pressed the white fabric.
Then, I laid it over the green fabric.


I wanted the seam to stay put, so, I used the trusty glue gun to make sure it would not sag with the photos attached to it.


Then, I turned it over and trimmed the fabric down just a bit...so that it would lay flat against the fridge and not be bulky.


Last, but NOT least...was using the staple gun to attach the fabric to the board.



That is it!  I am sure there are fancy schmancy ways of doing this, but there were more bags to fill!
There were two holes in each corner, so once the board was done, I used the pointy end of my scissors to poke through the fabric so that I could hang it with twine!




ONE of my favorite hooks to use is the 3M COMMAND strips.  They are strong wire hooks that do not do damage to the surface and you can move them if you want.  



SO much better, don't you think?


Here is the before pic...


and I had already started pulling everything off before I grabbed the camera!

here are some more 40/40 projects:






I got rid of so many shoes.  I have had the shelves labeled, but they were migrating to the wrong spots!  That is one way to know that less is MORE.  How many shoes do we really need?  






Hope your 40/40 is going well.  I have enjoyed the e-mails and the pictures!!  :}

Happy Wednesday!





5 comments:

  1. Wow- You are moving right along. Your board looks great-what a good idea! I had mine automatically "cleaned up" for me when we got the stainless steel appliances. Nothing magnetic sticks..lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. My photos also came off the fridge when we bought a stainless steel fridge, it is magnetic but I was tired of having photos slip off and onto the floor. I also noticed how a fridge covered with stuff made even the tidiest of kitchens appear cluttered in real estate photos but I still wanted a family wall somewhere in the home for pictures and notices. Now my family wall is in the office, just off the dining room. I used cork floor tiles on the wall to create a huge pinning area above the desk - this gives you the option of creating the exact size pinning area you need and keeps all your memories, planning stuff and visual stimuli in the one spot. And it didn't take me long to fill it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing sticks on my frig anymore....
    Lisa...I love seeing all your de-cluttering and organizing!!
    I feel motivated!!
    Love,
    Rene' xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I'm clearing out and donating/tossing too. Doesn't it feel good?

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Pat...it feels so good! Now we just have to try to not collect more stuff, right? :}

    ReplyDelete