Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Homemade Syrup and Clear Jel Jam



I think little condiments set out on the breakfast table are OH.SO.ADORABLE. It is always a surprise to see what will accompany Saturday morning pancakes, waffles or crepes. Here are two things that are staples in our home. It takes a little planning ahead, but it is a healthy alternative to the cost of spendy natural jams and syrups.

Growing up in Europe, syrup was not readily available, so our momma would make it.  It was sooo good.  It wasn't until we were older that we had the thick store-bought kind and teased our poor momma about her watery syrup.  Well, thanks to Instant Clear Jel...we have the best of both worlds...the thickness of processed and the goodness of homemade.  I so hope my twinsie does not rat me out on this post.  Laur...don't even!!!!


Homemade Syrup...that would make Aunt Jemima and Mrs. Butterworth SWOON!

Ingredients:

1 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1 Tbsp. Instant Clear Jel

1 cup fresh cold water

2 Tbsp. Organic Blue Agave Sweetener {Trader Joes}

1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract...you really want the real stuff.  Trust me.  :}


Directions:

Place sugars and Clear Jel into medium saucepan.

Stir to mix ingredients.

Add 1 cup fresh cold water

Add agave sweetener.

Stir until sugars dissolve.

Add vanilla.

Bring to a boil.

Let boil for 1 minute.  Make sure your saucepan is big enough.  Burnt sugar is nasty clean off your stove top!

Remove saucepan from heat and let cool.  Store in the fridge.

{Strain to remove any lumps of Clear Jel.  I rarely need to do this...but you may need to if you want it totally smooth}

No HFCS and no preservatives...

Serve and Savor!


Clear Jel Freezer Jam

Put six mini{8oz.}Mason Jars through the dishwasher. After the drying cycle, set jars right side up on a clean tea towel.

Ingredients:

6 cups berries {Costco has the large bags of frozen berries that work GREAT}

1 1/2 to 2 cups sugar

6 Tbsp. Instant Clear Jel {available through King Arthur or at the Decorette Shop}

Directions:

Place berries in large bowl and mash away...I LOVE THIS!!  {I use my BIG INDUSTRIAL SIZE IKEA POTATO MASHER}

Mix sugar and Clear Jel together.

Add sugar mix to berries...mash until sugar is dissolved.

Let sit for about 15 minutes

Take a one cup measure and scoop into mini jars, seal and freeze.
There will be just a tiny bit left to enjoy on a warm piece of toast or to put in a homemade berry milkshake!

The best thing about this jam is the fact that there is no YUCKY gelatin in it.  My friend's hubby was using gelatin in bow-making this week.  Perfect for alot of things...but I personally can not think about it in food.  I know.  I have issues...  :}

Enjoy!

For clear jel info:  food safety...and while you are at it you may want to look into how gelatin is made.  :}

Happy Wednesday to YOU!!!


Shared with:  comfy in the kitchen, newlyweds

4 comments:

  1. No gelatin for me! :-( This seems so easy for both the syrup and the jam and, no preservatives. Thanks so much for sharing!

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat...you are always welcome. I am do thankful you are almost done with pt. It will be do nice for you to have s bit more time on your hands. Sounds like you are doing better. Love to you!

      Delete
  2. Could I substitute corn starch for the clear jam? Never heard of the stuff. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should be able to as long as you mix it into cold water first...but I have never tried it. Please let me know if it works. Thanks for stopping by

    ReplyDelete