Saturday, August 27, 2011

The Gift of Leftovers




This last week, we were invited to a dinner party with some guys my hubby works with! It was so much fun! If you know me, you know how much I loooove late night dinners! I took a cake, cupcakes and ice cream...way too much dessert, but I would be mortified if we ran out...and we all know that firefighters can eat A LOT!

I left some with the host and sent some home with other guests and STILL had some left, sooo, when I got home I wrapped it really good and put it in the freezer to give away the next day.

SOOO, {I know I use that word a ton, sorry!} I want to hear from you...


*Do you think it is tacky giving away leftovers?

*Would or do you give away your "extras"?

*Would you throw your leftovers away before you would consider giving them away?

*Do you have an over abundance in your garden that you are willing to share?



Aren't these greens beautiful? They were given to me by the wife of my accupuncturist! They grow a garden and share their organic bounty with their patients! Isn't that the sweetest thing ever?

Scientifically speaking, it has been proven that the act of giving actually increases/releases the happy hormones.


Here is a challenge for you:

Try to take something that you have extras of and share it with somebody.

This could be anything to anybody. {I am working on this right along with YOU.}

A few suggestions:

*your leftovers might be just the right amount to take to an elderly person. Have your children help get it ready and go with you to deliver it to them.

*Maybe a family has a deployed spouse serving our country...I am sure they would appreciate a little something.

*What about a homeless person. Be intentional about preparing it in advance and give it to them as they are waitng for money at the traffic lights. Just roll down your window and BLESS them.

I would love to hear back from you on how this goes.

{Be sure your leftovers are fresh and not scrap material. You know what I am talking about. :) As Americans, I feel that our extras are like gold compared to that of other ccountries.}



...AND if you haven't taken a picnic yet, leftovers are great to pack up...I love taking picnics with leftover dessert. Makes a plain ol' picnic feel a bit indulgent. What do YOU think? What do you have to share in your fridge/freezer/pantry??



"Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not RELUCTANTLY or under compulsion, for GOD loves a CHEERFUL giver." II Corinthians 9:7

9 comments:

  1. I think you have posted some wonderful ideas! I love to share leftovers whenever I can. I also think you packaged them beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Lisa. I love sharing leftovers. We do it a lot in our neighborhood and it makes me so happy to package up extras and give them away. I feel so blessed to know you! Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We always share our leftovers. I save all those take out dishes that have snap on tops and always FILL them with things for people to take home.

    I tried to take some leftover dessert (from a dinner party last night) to my son and his wife..and my hubby ate it! So much for sharing THAT! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. love sharing leftovers--even better, we live near my daughter and son-in-law (and they are food lovers, too) and sometimes we give our leftovers and get some of theirs!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since I mainly cook just for the 2 of us and really don't care much now about cooking I rarely have anything leftover. When my mom was still with us I was able to bring her a plate if she wasn't able to come eat with us but she was the one who loved to cook and shared more with us...lol....I would take her shopping and would buy the groceries because she loved the process but couldn't really afford to feed us all. It was like having a chef. At one time my youngest brother was homeless and it warms me to think that someone like you was kind to him. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa, I love this post!

    *Do you think it is tacky giving away leftovers?
    ~ Absolutely not! There is too much waste in our country now. Restaurant's servings are too large. I always think of the homeless ~ half the serving could go to them.

    *Would or do you give away your "extras"?
    ~ Of course! It's just me here but it's difficult to prepare most dishes for one. I share with my elderly neigbhor and with my kids.

    *Would you throw your leftovers away before you would consider giving them away?
    ~ Never...see above.

    *Do you have an over abundance in your garden that you are willing to share?
    ~ If I had a garden, yes!

    My kids love it when I cook and share with them. Also, I used to live in Ft. Worth that was near an area where the homeless gathered. In the cold & freezing weather, I made P&B sandwiches, soups, breads & casseroles and took it to them in small containers with plastic ware. Everyone told me it was too dangerous...I told them I asked God to go with me & before me. He never let me down!

    Your packaging is always so beautiful ~ I need to learn that. :-)

    xo
    Pat
    P.S. I like to take desserts to the local firemen. My step-dad was a volunteer firefighter in our little town...I've always had a special place in my heart for them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharing leftovers is fun; assuming the meal was a success :) I have been sharing buckets of fresh veggies. I like to put water in old galvanized buckets before I harvest. Then I load my buckets up and deliver them to friends. The veggies stay crisp and fresh, especially if I drop them at a friend's work and they can't refrigerate them right away. The galvanized buckets look really charming with colorful things like chard and brocoli overflowing the top~ almost like a bouquet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This has been one of my favorite posts!!! Your ideas are GREAT! You have inspired me for the week! I love your input!! I hope everybody reads the comment section, because it is way better than the POST! LOVE TO ALL OF YOU!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. I share leftovers a lot since I am just cooking for two now. My elderly neighbour loves when I share my cupcakes with her, and has started buying me cupcake papers whenever she finds cute ones she knows I will love! She is a widow and so doesn't cook much at all....I love sharing with her.
    Also, I share a lot with my son and his family....my three granddaughters especially love it when I share my desserts ;-)
    Wish I had a garden, or a friend that would share...not much tastes better than fresh veggies. Your photos are always so pretty!
    blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete