Thursday, July 28, 2011

Dinner in a Sand Pail



Thank you so much, dear friends, again...for all of your prayers and notes for our Caleb! I think we finally have a handle on the pain. We are hoping for a good night of sleep for him...actually... for everybody tonight! It reminds me of having a newborn in the house. Instead of feedings, it is pain medication and ICE around the clock!

I am, however, taking full advantage of having this opportunity to take care of him and I am enjoying having him HOME! Not too many mommas have the chance to spend as much time with their 17 year-old sons!!

I have often wondered if I would have blogged when our children were young...since we didn't even own a computer until they were both in elementary school...and the answer is absolutely "NO WAY". Based on how busy I have been with taking care of a child who needs help with everything, I now know I am not nearly as talented as all of the young mommy bloggers who are capable of doing major multi-tasking and must have degrees in time management! I even forgot to feed our little dappled doggie today!!!

This morning, I woke up to this hymn on my mind! Though the last few weeks have been filled with lots of ups and downs, we can hold on to the truth that God is faithful! To know that the God of the universe never turns his eye from us for a second can fill us with hope and fill our hearts with PRAISE!

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my father
There is no shadow of turning with Thee
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been, Thou for ever will be
Great is thy faithfulness
Great is thy faithfulness
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed thy hand hath provided
Great is thy faithfulness, Lord unto me

Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To thy great faithfulness, mercy and love

Great is thy faithfulness
Great is thy faithfulness
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed thy hand hath provided
Great is thy faithfulness, Lord unto me
Great is thy faithfulness

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside

Great is thy faithfulness
Great is thy faithfulness
All I have needed thy hand hath provided
Great is thy faithfulness, Lord unto me

BE ENCOURAGED!!





No time for side dishes and gourmet brining and spices? Here is a fun solution! Dinner in a sand pail. Yep! No passing the veggies or bread and butter. Everybody has their own dinner in their pail. And it is still super nutritious and will leave your guests feeling pampered and not overly stuffed. Or this could be a romantic dinner for two after the kiddies are tucked into bed! {One of our favorite summer things to do was to have a late candlelight dinner on the deck after the little ones were thoroughly exhausted from swimming all.day.long!} No babysitters, no fancy restaurants...just the two of us with the babes close by...BLISS!}


Healthy Fish Fillets and Veggies {in parchment} No scrubbing pots and pans for this dinner!

This recipe serves two... but may easily be doubled, doubled again and again...for however many people you are serving!

2 Tbsp. butter

4 cups fresh spinach, washed and stems removed

2 4-6 ounces white fish fillets {I used halibut that was about a 1/2" thick}

Sea salt and fresh ground pepper...or Johnny's Seasoning Salt

half of a zuchini, cut into half and sliced into thin slices

4 baby portabellas, washed and sliced

1 large tomato, seeded and chopped

4 thin slices of lemon

2 Tbsp.olive oil

Parchment Paper

Bakers Twine...now available at Crate&Barrel!


Directions:

Preheat oven to 450*

For each packet, you will want to layer two sheets of parchment that is at least 15" long to keep all of your food inside.





Take your butter and run it down the middle.





Place 2 cups of spinach on top of butter.

Place fish on top.

Sprinkle with salt and pepper or desired seasonings.

Divide the rest of the veggies between two packets

Lay lemons on each and drizzle with olive oil.

Fold packets up: Fold long edge over opposite side and tuck the short ends under.

Place two packets in baking pan and place in oven for about 18 minutes or until fish is opaque in color. Be very careful with steam.

When I am taking this meal to friends, I add the twine for delivery and have them take it off to bake.

To serve: place packets in a bucket with bread, drink, silverware and a tin to place packet in to eat out of! I would suggest mini baguettes to put in your bucket...

VARIATION: You could put the fish in tin foil and cook it over a campfire on the beach...hmmm...dinner on the beach at sunset!

*from the good ol' archives

7 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your son ~ they will always be our babies ~ love the time you get to spend with them.

    You've come up with yet another fabulous dinner date! I'm really loving this idea and will put it to good use very soon.

    Have a great weekend ~
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that hymn, too. Glad your Caleb is doing better. Have a relaxing weekend!

    Judy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo...yes. they will always be our babies. I hope you enjoy the yummy fish dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy...thank you. Nothing is as comforting as the words of an old hymn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad Caleb is getting a bit better. It is so hard to see our children hurting. One day at a time is all we can do. Your recipe looks good and healthy. Take care sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear he is getting a little better. It's tough, I know. Take care of yourself, too. Wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete