Monday, April 11, 2011

Anzac Granola Bites




Anzac biscuits are among my very, very, very favorite "cookies" and homemade granola is another favorite...so, I thought I would make homemade granola bars and have the best of both worlds.

These are NOT low-calorie by any means, but they are jam packed with nutritious ingredients and perfect for your children {or the momma who hasn't had time for breakfast!} to grab and go on their way to school. Perfect for for school or after track and before dinner. These bites are dense and alot more filling than the ones that are store-bought...so you may want to keep that in mind when you are cutting them into shapes.

I have no idea how many recipes I have tried. I finally decided to take what I loved from some and eliminated what I didn't like and I think these fit the bill for our family. Agave syrup is a great alternative to cane syrup...but I was in keeping with my "ANZAC" cookie recipe...so, cane syrup haaaaad to be used.

{I was going to post this on Anzac Day which is April 25th...but this way YOU can make them for ANZAC day!}




Anzac Granola Bites

Lisa Pearson

2 ½ cups rolled oats

1 1/2cups coconut

1 1/4 cups suflower seeds

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. pure almond extract or vanilla if you prefer

2/3 cup Lyle's Golden Cane Syrup

1 cup almond butter


Directions:

*Place oats, coconut, sunflower seeds and cinnamon in a large bowl.



*Stir thoroughly.

*Add extract, cane syrup and almond butter

*Use your strong hands and make sure the ingredients are thoroughly mixed together.

Grease an 8x8 pan {or a 9x13 for thinner bites} and press granola mixture into pan. Use fork tines to press and evenly distribute mixture.




Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Chill and cut into desired shapes.

Enjoy!

PS.I think I will be using these for party favors...soon!

4 comments:

  1. Miss B. and I loved our granola bar this morning. It was DELICIOUS!!! Thanks for sharing!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look healthy and delish!! I love oats and coconut is my favorite!I like how you combined the two recipes... good idea!
    xo

    ReplyDelete