Thursday, September 23, 2010

MaryAnne's Rich and Creamy Tomato Soup {with Serrano Cream}



Every time I am given a recipe by a friend, I name it after them. It helps me remember whose recipe is whose, especially when you have several recipes that may be similar!

My friend MaryAnne and I love "competing" in the cooking department. We both love butter, heavy cream, and all things organic and natural...but best of all our girlies are BFF's!

We still are at odds when it comes to a specific ingredient in Grandpa Tom's Shrimp and Corn Chowder!!! But I am sure if it wasn't that, it would be something else...that is how we like it!

I know you will LOVE her soup and you would LOVE her, too!

Mary Anne’s Rich and Creamy Basil Soup

1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes {I used 2 14.5 oz. cans of tomatoes with chilies}
1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes {I used the Italian Recipe with Oregano and Basil}
15 leaves of fresh basil
½ cup whipping cream
½ cup unsalted butter
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 garlic clove

Puree the tomatoes with the basil leaves and garlic. Place tomato mixture in a stock pot and simmer. Stir in the cream and butter. Add salt and pepper. Heat, stirring until the butter is melted. DO NOT BOIL!

Divide into 4 bowls and top with Serrano Cream.

Serrano Cream
3 Serrano peppers
1 large clove of garlic
½ tsp. sea salt
½ cup sour cream
Seed, devein and cut peppers into small pieces
Combine all ingredients in blender until well blended.
Refrigerate until ready to use.

Fresh garden tomatoes may be substituted for the canned tomatoes. Just add spices to taste.

DO NOT SKIP THE CREAM!
DO NOT!
IT MAKES THIS SOUP HEAVENLY!
SKIP YOUR LATTE or DESSERT!

2 comments:

  1. thanks for visiting my blog, Lisa! This soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks wonderful! I agree, the cream is worth it. I haven't made tomato soup in a long time! It's so about time, thanks!

    ReplyDelete