Saturday, August 28, 2010

Pumpkin Carrot Cake





Thank YOU to my dear friend, Kim who hijacked my blog this last week and who gifted Riss and I a lovely evening that will forever be a special memory. So grateful that we have you as a friend to walk through life together. And to think that it all started with a baby shower!!!

I can't imagine that there are too many friends in the world that would think to drag a big chair through wheat fields, dressers across parks, hang chandeliers on trees, be obsessive about shades of colors, squeeky blinds, and SHARPIE pens and lamp shades...and chalk dust...oh.you make me smile!

Not only are you sweet and sensitive to those around you, but your humble, gentle spirit is absolutely unbelievable! You certainly challenge me in more ways than I can think of...and I love it when we have slivers of time to spend together.

Thank you for the A.DORABLE blog makeover. It is so beautiful...and the pink baby bird is the cherry on TOP!

Much love to you...you will always be my friend and "my bunny"!



I was going to wait for Autumn to post this recipe, but I am in the mood for Autumn now as the leaves have already started changing and floating to the ground.

Several years back, Kim made this carrot cake for my birthday and I am not even kidding, it was THE.BEST carrot cake I had ever tasted...and I have had more than my share. Trust me.

I changed it a tiny bit, because I am trying to bake a bit healthier...so here you go!


Pumpkin Carrot Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from the Joy of Baking


Preheat oven to 350*
Prepare two 9 inch round cake pans

Whisk together:

2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. sea salt


Beat together in stand mixer:

4 eggs
1 ½ cups organic sugar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup Libby’s plain pumpkin
¼ cup applesauce {I use Trader Joe’s Gravenstein without sugar}

Fold in:
2 1/4 cups carrots, finely grated


Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Fold in 2 ¼ cups finely grated carrot.

Divide equally between the two cake pans. Bake for about 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let sit on wire rack for about 10 minutes. Invert on to wire rack. Let cool completely before frosting.


Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting

¼ cup unsalted butter, room temp
8 oz. cream cheese, room temp
2 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Finely grated lemon zest and/or orange zest of one half lemon

Stack cakes on cake plate, frost and garnish with coconut and DIG IN!

ps...this is what my piece of cake looked like before MISS OPPORTUNITY devoured it. I guess I wont be taking picures of food anymore with my little dappled dachsund around anymore. Oh well, she probaly thought it was for her. Don't worry, she did NOT get in trouble. I can't resist her big, brown eyes and Stellaluna {bat} ears!


Shared with: comfy in the kitchen, Stone Gable

4 comments:

  1. i love pumpkin anything (pumpkin curry, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies...) and so this cake is right up my ally! If I could bake. ; ) This recipe might be worth trying, tho...!

    (also, thumbs up to your designer. love the birdcage!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks wonderful!!! We have guest coming next weekend and I will definitely be baking this for dessert. Thanks!

    Judy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your just killing me with these wonderful combo's!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm, this looks DELISH! So yummy. I'm definitely going to make this soon for a decadent treat. Have a wonderful weekend and thanks a bunch for linking to Saturday Swap.

    ReplyDelete